Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Reccomendation on a Bow From New Zealand Archery Products

Boyd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 pm     Reccomendation on a Bow From New Zealand Archery Products Reply with quote

Hi all.

In the interests of getting more archers archering I humbly offer the following;

Recently I was asked to go and visit NZAP (here in Nelson) to look at a set of longbows that they have on offer.

[Hi mods if this is in the wrong spot or inappropriate please let me know - Cheers B]

The longbow I went to look at is this one;

http://www.nzap.co.nz/traditional_repro_longbow.php#repro_longbow

It retails for $199.95

I visited Jim and Peter at NZAP last week and got taken on a tour of the workshop and the supply area. They are very keen on servicing the re-enactment community in NZ and the in house Fletcher, Laurie, has close ties with the CH-CH SCA. He also does a lovely Flemmish Bowstring for those who are interested (very nicely tapered at each end - I ordered one today for $40)

I got to inspect a 20# and a 40# bow. They are nicely tillered and very light for the size. The 40# may be too large for people with smaller hands as the diameter around the hand grip is quite large.
The bows are made from Rattan and will take a gentle set over time. They also come supplied with a good quality ( and looking) Flemmish Bowstring with serving and bead. One downside is that the manufacturers cut a redundant arrow shelf out of the bow that is too shallow and really unnecessary as most archers would use their knuckles. This shelf and the suede handgrip ruin the aesthetics for me, but the handgrip may only be laced on.

At just under $200, this is a great bow for beginners or those like myself, who spend far to little time at the butts to be anything near a competitive archer, but still want the joy of shooting at events.

For true-newbies they also offer a $280 package that is at the bottom of the internet page linked to above.

Service-wise the People at NZAP will paper test the bows and strings to ensure that the bows will actually do what they're supposed to do. Ie, get reasonable groupings etc.

They also have a great supply of bits and bobs for making your arrows etc.

Cheers,

Boyd.

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
ann dugmore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 am     NZAP Reply with quote

I can second the service from New Zealand Archery Products. Although I have not bought a longbow from them I have bought 5 recurves for my students from Tauranga Boys' College plus arrows and shafts, fletches, points, nocks etc..
When you phone them they are always very helpful to your queries.

Ann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:11 am      Reply with quote

these bows are great for a starting bow if you are on a limited budget. They have been mentioned previously as good bows for combat archer newbies due to the lower poundage available

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and link Boyd.
The "starter kit" is just what I needed to rekindle my interest in longbows, having been previously seduced by the dubious pleasures of blackpowder and gonnes!

Medieval

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 pm      Reply with quote

The dubious pleasure? I thought once you'd gone black there's no going back...

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
Godwin of Wessex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm      Reply with quote

Very true.

But having once used a bow to "send" small grenadoes into an English Heritage castle I think the two arts can co-exist. Albeit on a Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde basis.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote

yes the people at nzap are very helpful and the also sell a nice 40# laminated horse bow
Golden Girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks so much Boyd, I was looking for my first longbow and wondering where to start.
You have saved me time looking and trying to workout where to start.

I will be investing soon in one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:41 pm      Reply with quote

Hi all have shot several of the 40lbs and we have a couple at Sable Hart so can endorse these with great pleasure.

Graham

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: