Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Any brave Scots in Wellington?

Colin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:26 pm     Any brave Scots in Wellington? Reply with quote

Next October (2011), we the Wellington School of European Martial Arts, will be running a Scottish broadsword tournament. This will be held at Harcourt Park in Upper Hutt.

It will involve using the Scottish broadsword, backsword or military saber. Bias will hopefully be on the Scottish broadsword. You will also need a fencing mask, throat protection and wearing a Scottish regimental uniform (or redcoat).

You will need to know 18th, 19th century military saber/broadsword to enter (e.g Thomas Page, Henry Angelo and so forth).

If there is enough interest, we could also look at running a smallsword (or courtsword) tournament. If there is spectacular interest, we could also explore bayonet fencing.

If you are interested, please let me know. You can get in contact with me via www.swordsmanship.co.nz

For those that weren't aware, we the Wellington School of European Martial Arts, run classes on Scottish broadsword et al on Wednesday nights.

Tallyho,

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm      Reply with quote

This event is another long-standing event at Harcourt Park. I am thinking about offering a border reiver display as my own personal kit will be completed before then. However I am not that interested in Highland Broadsword (just too many systems to learn competently and so little time Very Happy ) but I am interested in late 16th C sword - maybe Silver as you suggested?

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Colin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote

George Silver would probably be the closest we currently have to what the Reivers would have used.

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 pm     Respectful questions and suggestions. Reply with quote

Quote:
It will involve using the Scottish broadsword, backsword or military saber. Bias will hopefully be on the Scottish broadsword. You will also need a fencing mask, throat protection and wearing a Scottish regimental uniform (or redcoat).

Does this mean that one cannot wear jacobite gear to contest this event? Please clarify the point for me.

Quote:
but I am interested in late 16th C sword - maybe Silver as you suggested?

May I recommend Sweetnam. He's got a slightly more active style. Silver isn't much more than an apology for being regularly beaten up by rapiers. Twisted Evil

No offence meant. This is a personal opinion, based on personal experience.

Nic
Colin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote

If you want to identify yourself as a Jacobite, I don't really care. It's not a re-enactment event. However it will still be sword alone.

I will point out that I'm really only promoting this to the Wellington region as there will be no offer of support for 'out of towners'. That's not to say that 'out of towners' aren't welcome, but you'll need to provide your own way.

As for Silver versus Swetnam: under Elizabeth I the Reivers were still going strong (on both sides of the borders). Not so under James VI/I who encouraged them to emigrate to Northern Ireland. Hence my recommendation for Silver and not Swetnam.

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote

Merely questioning the original post. Thank you for your clarifications.

Re: Silver. You cannot seriously be suggesting such a pedestrian system for use as a Reiver. It makes no sense. Sweetnam's book is current within a generation's historiography of the time in question and is therefore more than valid. Especially as it as an ACTIVE fencing system, as opposed to "time of the yawn".

Thanks, I doubt I'll come down for the event, but it is nice to know that others are doing later period stuff.

bye.

Nic
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 am      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:

Re: Silver. You cannot seriously be suggesting such a pedestrian system for use as a Reiver. It makes no sense. Sweetnam's book is current within a generation's historiography of the time in question and is therefore more than valid. Especially as it as an ACTIVE fencing system, as opposed to "time of the yawn".

Interesting and insulting at the same time. Maybe that's your experience of Silver, but it isn't mine. I have no gripe with Swetnam.

Freebooter wrote:

...but it is nice to know that others are doing later period stuff.

I have, since the inception of the Auckland School of European Martial Arts, been involved with 'later period stuff'. It provided the avenue for me to explore martial arts outside the medieval period without recourse to some sort of anachronism. I have been promoting the latter period material for some years now. I would like to do more, except there are only so days and hours in the week (I would, for example, like to kickstart various late 19th, early 20th material again).

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am      Reply with quote

The period I am portaying is late 16th C - circa 1590 - with my Reiver Kit.

This will dictate the sword style. But as the Reivers served a mercanaries all over Europe at the time, I don't think they would have been limited to just a local regional system.

I am hoping that other members of the Order of the Boarand also other people from either inside or outside of the wider re-enactment scene want to get involved too. We have brought in people from the "outside" into our WW1 NZMR team for example and who have since become invloved in the medieval side as well, e.g. we had 3 people along with their families who would not have been there othewise at Taupo earlier this year.

Trentham Race Course has a new management team who want to engage more with the local community and as part of that have asked if we could put on regular events there. This provides a ready market for the multi-period shows as I doubt if they would want us to put on just jousting displays for them.

As part of the multi-period direction, I am inviting anybody who may be interested in one or more of the 3 periods we are now portraying to get involved. My only requirement - leave your baggage at the door Very Happy

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote

This will dictate the sword style. But as the Reivers served a mercanaries all over Europe at the time, I don't think they would have been limited to just a local regional system.

I am hoping that other members of the Order of the Boar and also other people from either inside or outside of the wider re-enactment scene want to get involved too. We have brought in people from the "outside" into our WW1 NZMR team for example and who have since become invloved in the medieval side as well, e.g. we had 3 people along with their families who would not have been there othewise at Taupo earlier this year.

Trentham Race Course has a new management team who want to engage more with the local community and as part of that have asked if we could put on regular events there. This provides a ready market for the multi-period shows as I doubt if they would want us to put on just jousting displays for them.

As part of the multi-period direction, I am inviting anybody who may be interested in one or more of the 3 periods we are now portraying to get involved. My only requirement (other than having good kit) - leave your baggage at the door Very Happy

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:45 am      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:

I wasn't going to reply again on this one, but as you have made the exact same point, I thought I'd leap in in support.

Meyer, (Germany 1570) would suggest himself to me as the ideal guy. He's bang on for your time, simple, effective and broad in his teaching. I reckon he'd be a good one.

Worth looking outwards at the mid C16 italian styles too. Cool

nic
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote

Simple and effective works for me Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: