Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
NZ longbow makers?

Peter Lyon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 am     NZ longbow makers? Reply with quote

Hi all
I am looking for a New Zealand bow maker to make a new bow for Helen - I am after 40 pounds at 28", a nice traditional English longbow style with D section, maybe with horn nocks. Does anyone here know anyone in NZ that makes good bows to order, especially looking for positive experiences here. I could order from Turbows and get a good bow, but the delivery is likely to add a lot to the price; and the 40# rattan bow from NZAP is not what I am after either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 am      Reply with quote

Hi Peter.
Oscar Maisel (Ozzee) is the best there is in NZ. He's a member of this forum. You'll find him in the Warbow section along with lots of photos and some video of his bows. I have 3 of his bows in my possession at the moment. I also own a bow made by Steve Stratton of DIY Archery in the UK and used to own a bow made by Steve Ralphs.
Steve Stratton is a Master Bowyer and Steve Ralphs is (as you may know) known as the 'Bow and Arrow Man' in the movie industry. Oscar's bows are every bit as good as the aforesaid gentlemen's creations.
coldozzee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 am      Reply with quote

Thanks Keith!!

Hi Peter,
I could do it for you No problem I just stocked back up on all my timber and could do what ever and how ever you want to.

If you want to get in contact 0211051225 or coldhearted_ozzee@hotmail.com

Thanks Oz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:59 pm     NZ bowmakers Reply with quote

Peter,

I would seriously go with Turbows.

My reasoning is
1. An unblemished reputation for quality work.
2. While they do have a fair sized order list they will be honest about delivery delay.
3. On the extremely rare occasions that anything goes wrong (i know of only one - minor issue), they honor their warranties .

Having personally been shafted TWICE by Ozzee, I can't recommend him.
He is a gamble, Turbows is not.

Just my 2c.

Quentin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 pm     Re: NZ bowmakers Reply with quote

quentin wrote:
Peter,

I would seriously go with Turbows.

My reasoning is
1. An unblemished reputation for quality work.
2. While they do have a fair sized order list they will be honest about delivery delay.
3. On the extremely rare occasions that anything goes wrong (i know of only one - minor issue), they honor their warranties .

Having personally been shafted TWICE by Ozzee, I can't recommend him.
He is a gamble, Turbows is not.

Just my 2c.

Quentin

Twice is that right in the first place its not my fault if your kid can look after his stuff ! 2 end I replaced the bow months after I sold it to you if there was any fault in the bow why was I not informed right there and then hummm maybe because there was no fault !!!

3rd I sold you that bow for a damned good price in the first place

So if that's the first were is the second Hummm

Just goes to show if you do people a favor they have to crap on you is that right ?

Funny out of all the bows I've sold 178 to be exact only 3 were not happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 pm      Reply with quote

Have to say Peter, my first 100# Oz made was beautiful, and I've no doubt the 135# he's making right now will be no different.
bodkin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 pm      Reply with quote

...not to mention my wifes' 50#, made at the same time which is a stunner of a bow for it's weight. I can't of course comment on the experience of others, but I've no complaints, and Oz's bows have a uniform smooth draw and good cast, and I've shot 50lb, 70lb, 100lb, 115lb, 116lb, bows made by him, and almost (but not quite!) drawn his own 135lb, so it's a fair sample.
quentin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:45 pm     NZ bowmakers Reply with quote

Oh I hear some of you have done well by Ozzee.
All I'm saying is that some of us have not - it seems to be a customer service issue. If you get a good bow, its a good bow.
If you get a bad one then it must be your own fault and....

This was my experience, lets hear more opinions from other people.

Ozzee, I understand your need to defend yourself but
1. You have never even tried to be helpfull on this
2. when you send out crap, you get crap comments on your work. That's how feedback works.
Further comments from either of us will need to go off forum. I will PM on request but I'm not going to flamewar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:52 pm      Reply with quote

No neither will I Im just gona leave it that Smile Peace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 pm     NZ made Bows Reply with quote

"Funny out of all the bows I've sold 178 to be exact only 3 were not happy"
We paid $400 approx for our bow, at say $400 per bow by 178, well you do the maths. One would expect the a replacement bow for any customer is neither here or there . This less than 2% of his turnover.

coldozzee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm      Reply with quote

LOL yeah if only it was that easy Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote

Let's stay on track here. I'd invite people to offer suggestions to help Peter assemble a list of options for places to get a bow made rather than suggestions on where NOT to get one made. If any of you feel strongly about a supplier, you should either take up the issue with them in private, or offer your opinions to Peter in private. Airing your concerns on the forum is (generally) not appropriate.

Thanks,
Nigel
Archer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote

Great stuff Nigel, I agree whole heartedly. Keep your frustrations out of this forum.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: