You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
exploding arrows

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:37 am     exploding arrows Reply with quote

hmmmm?

what do you think fact or fiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsTyArLtrAA&feature=related

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote

given that they don't show the impact or the result or a close up of the head fiction.

TTFN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 pm      Reply with quote

Hmm?

Entirely likely. There's plenty of momentum in the weight of the arrow and a light poundage bow to set off a rifle primer set at the front of the arrow with an appropriate charge contained within the forward part of a hollow shaft.

I've seen similar things done with a bb, rifle primer and small charge set in the front of a hollow point bullet, and various military incendiary/explosive rounds in WW1/WW2 (.303 Buckingham, Pomeroy, etc) used similar if slightly more technical ignition methods. Impact drives a bb or piston against a primer, sets off the charge. To have any meaningful effect in .30 or so caliber bullets, one needs to make the charge high explosive, which they started off doing with the early explosive rounds in WW1, but for serious effect they quickly gave them up by early-mid WW2 (unstable, unreliable in small size bullets) and used 13mm, .50 cal and 20 to 40 mm cannon instead.

I've seen various nongs set rifle primers in the head of small calibre bullets to get a bang on impact. Not adviseable, but possible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote

anyone remember those cast metal bomb shape things that you would put a cap on the nose and drop onto the concrete
WOW
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am      Reply with quote

griff wrote:
anyone remember those cast metal bomb shape things that you would put a cap on the nose and drop onto the concrete
WOW

yep i remember those well, i used to try and overload them with caps to see how big a bang i could get

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:00 pm      Reply with quote

I meant the video was fiction not the concept.

besides you really want the arrow head to penitrate before exploding. If you were going for a contact fuse then a shaped charge that produces a jet of plasma like the early pazerfuasts would be best IMO.
the earliest versions were mounted on a pike/spear and you ran up and meleed the tank.

TTFN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote

Comming from a millarty point of view Id say there would be more damage from the arrow hitting you than the little fire cracker it seems to set off.

Kill an elephant my @rse, might scratch an itch..
Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 pm      Reply with quote

Nope, no hurty -phant with this one.

You might just irritate him with the little bang enough so that he turns you to a greasy smear in the dirt however. You are just not far enough away with an arrow to get away in time, should it go badly for you.

That's why native hunters do this kind of thing in *groups* with big long sharp spears.

It might not be a bad thing for this shallow-end example and his mate to give it a try though. Be optimistic, go on, try it!
Frosty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:19 am      Reply with quote

dont you love natural selection...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:34 pm      Reply with quote

And now for entry #90387573827485967623535 in the darwin awards 2011 guy who thought his arrow would kill an elephant the 2 second video clip is regarded R18 due to squishyness.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: