Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
World record holder coming to NZ

English Warbowman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:30 pm     World record holder coming to NZ Reply with quote

In conjunction with Nic's post about bringing a top class swordsman over from Europe we are looking at also bringing out none other than Mark Stretton the Guinness World Record holder for the most powerful longbow draw made since records began. It was a staggering 200lbs @ 31 1/2"

As well as being the foremost practitioner of medieval archery in the world today he is also a professional blacksmith/arrowsmith.
He is a co author of the book Secrets Of The English War Bow and has written several articles detailing all his research in The Glade archery magazine.
Mark's tv appearances in the UK include Ghosts Of The Mary Rose and Scrapheap Challenge.

His visit would also coincide with Taupo 2011 and he will be holding workshops include shooting demonstrations/tuition and blacksmithing/arrowsmithing tuition.

There will be a paddock available where the awesome power of the war bow will be able to be seen as arrows weighing over 100g are shot with precision at distances of 200 yards and more.

Several pieces of armour are going to be turned into Swiss cheese as hand forged arrow heads do what they were designed to do.

As with Nic's post there will be a cost involved, it will depend on the number of participants. I'm confident that we will have at least 20 people attending. The NZ war bow group will be there of course and I urge everyone who has an interest in archery or blacksmithing to attend this unique opportunity to meet Mark in person and learn from the best.

Please reply to this post to express your interest.
Smithyatwork
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:05 pm      Reply with quote

I'd be keen, always interested in meeting other blacksmiths, even better when they are leaders in there field! can you message me the details so i can have it penciled in my diary. also i seem to have missed the details on the taupo event, im just new to the gathering darkness and would love the chance to meet others and offer my wears to the community. have chainmail to sell!
English Warbowman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote

This will coincide with Taupo sometime in January 2011.
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am      Reply with quote

I'm keen to participate if he'll be at Taupo 2011. Count me in. Awesome.

Nic hasn't post the dates for Taupo 2011 yet, but it will probably be later January if previous years are anything to go by.

Cheers,
Nigel
English Warbowman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote

This is a great response from everyone. Dates will be posted as soon as they are available.
bodkin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:36 am      Reply with quote

You know we'll be there with our best bells and bows...we are planning to camp a few days there an' all.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: