Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
riveted mail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 am      Reply with quote

I've seen some great looking hauberks in the last few years, all rivetted (e.g., Franush, Patch). Makes my butted maille look a little too inauthentic now.

Don't think I'll be worrying too much about that at the moment, but sooner or later, those of us left with butted maille are not going to look as good as those with rivetted sets.

Might be time to consider making some rivetted stuff for coifs, aventails etc (not sure if I feel especially ambitious enough to commit to a whole hauberk).

So, two sets of questions:

1) Does anyone know what to make the punch for the rivet hole from?
Or would a normal centre punch do the trick?
(At least one guy on the links kindly provided above used a nail. I know I might have to cut it - or a punch - down and fit it into a set of pliers so as not to have to hammer and punch everything...)

2) Was there historical maille that was all rivetted, or was all of it a combination of solid closed rings and rivetted?
(I realise that although solid punched rings may require less work than having everything rivetted, I'm not sure I can afford to buy multitudes of them. So I may have to use rivetted rings for everything. Just wondering how authentic that is...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm     Riveted Chainmail Reply with quote

I can source chainmail in:
• BUTTED
• ROUND RING ROUND RIVETED
• FLAT RING ROUND RIVETED
• FLAT RING WEDGE RIVETED
• FLAT RING RIVETED WITH ALTERNATE ROWS OF SOLID PUNCHED RINGS

the butted is the cheapest but the Flat Ring Riveted with Alternative Rows of solid rings is the most historically accurate. i dont have the pricelist on me right now but if you can indicate what you would be interested in i can get back to you with an idea of cost. I can supply all chainmaile to suit your needs, all is Handmade and comes in medium, large & x-Large.

for an example a Haubergeon in Flat Ring wedge Riveted with Alternative Rows of solid rings would be round $665 + shipping.

Butted is allot cheaper but as it is hand made by skilled craftsmen there is still a relative cost. email me directly at pennyfarthingracer@xtra.co.nz
I will get a current price list sent to me from my suppliers and there is annother suppier that i can get butted mailae from that is allot cheaper than my main suppier, but you get what you pay for. shipping is at cost to NZ from offshore and half cost to you within NZ. if you can find others to oder at the same time you will beable to combine to save on shipping.

the Chainmail I sell is the best that is availible in the world, and as it is handmade so items can be made to order at additional cost.

Butted Coif start from $60 and butted Hauberk $130 both plus shipping, this is from my cheaper company, i have not seen what it is like, but its a good place to start from.

I can also get plate armour and arming clothing for a good price
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: