N
David

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:46 pm      Reply with quote

How do I get my eyes shined like that?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:03 pm      Reply with quote

Jeff Goldblum "The Fly"

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 pm      Reply with quote

That is a seriously good idea.

Is this something you want to sell, or do you mind me doing some "monkey see, monkey do?"

The closer the mesh is to your eyes, the less it impedes your vision. King of counter-intuitive, but true.
Frosty

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote

make sure he doesn't lift his visor or hes guna shoot a giant red laser at you!!!

nice dude. never seen em before they a recent addition?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote

Awesome work Thorson. Fantastic idea. If they get hit hard I imagine it might leave a goggle-shaped mark around your eyes, but it's a hell of a lot better than a serious injury.

I'm making an assumption, but I'd guess there would be people here prepared to buy these if you're prepared to make and sell them for a reasonable price.

Just one question - how are you proposing to secure them to your head? You need to make sure they won't move or be easily dislodged by an arrow. A big hunk of elastic around the back like Ski-goggles might work if they fit closely enough, but you'd have to do some test-shooting and see.

Keep us posted with the progression of this idea. I think you're onto something great for those who don't want to convert their helmets.

Nigel
thorsson

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 pm      Reply with quote

thorsson's knives 010.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.45 KB
 Viewed:  20820 Time(s)

thorsson's knives 010.jpg

??Questions??

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 pm      Reply with quote

L33t|\|3S5.

how long untill i can get my grubby hands on a pair?

??Questions??

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Thorsson,

I think they are the cat's ass, and I put the question to the Lochac Marshall's List. They are the collection of experienced people who decide on the interpretaion of the rules for the SCA. There are a lot of people over there who like this idea. The guy below is the Earl Marshal, the guy in charge. Get in touch with him and talk things over about what you have here. There is the potential of *many* sales in this for you should they turn out to be acceptable. I have given your name as the inventor and person to go to for information on these.

Oskar

"Oskar,

At this point I am not willing to say that they are illegal or legal. I am saying that their design has merit and we should investigate it further. If you would like me to consider them for being allowed there would need to be some testing. So let me know if they have done any tests and if they have not then lets talk off-line about what we need to do to make an informed decision.

The relevant rules with regards to this are below.

The real question is what is meant by the word "covered" in number 7. Does that mean it has to be on the outside of the opening? I think most folks would agree that most folks think this means it need to be on the outside. However, in the strictest definition of the word it also means "to guard from attack"....which in looking at the pictures "guarding from attack" is exactly what they are doing. So it could be a simple as a word change should we decide to make these legal.

---------
"6. Face guard bars or screening should not attach to the interior of the helm unless of
structurally superior design and workmanship.
7. In scenarios involving missile combat using arrows or bolts, all openings in the helm
larger than 5mm across must be covered by well-secured screening. The screening must
be one of:
(a) Perforated steel no less than 1.6mm thick. Perforations will be no more than 5 mm,
with less than 50% open surface area. See figure 7.3.
(b) Stout woven steel mesh of minimum 1.6mm wire with openings of no more than 5mm.
See figure 7.3.
(c) Crimsafe brand security mesh5. (d) With the exception of "crimsafe" noted above,
window screen or galvanised hardware cloth is unacceptable for use as screening.
8. All screening must be attached and secured in such a way that there is minimal chance
that it will become detached in normal combat use."
----------

Thanks,

Siridean
Earl Marshal

Please note the email change SheridonGlenn@gmail.com"
psyclone

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote

If they do become a purchasable item... I would be interested in a pair or three...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: