Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
How important is it to be part of a club?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

To what extent are you part of a club?
I often participate in regular club activities
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
I occasionally participate in regular club activities
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I am a club member but do not participate in regular club activities
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I have no club affiliations at all (independent)
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 37

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 pm      Reply with quote

Gentlemen, the topic is that way (pointing way over in the distance), let's hurry back shall we?

Nigel
wuzzle

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 pm     Back on track Reply with quote

I feel the defining of club is the knowlege that others enjoy
your Hobby and or lifestyle thus enriching and bolstering
your experiance of said hobby

Motivation,companionship and interaction define club for me

That said,

combining all the above on a week to week basis
can feel like juggling spagetti some times but is
worth the effort for the Spirit
and defining of self that allows us to grow

Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:08 pm      Reply with quote

But Neanderthals used Clubs!

"Herding Cats" is the definition I've heard.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
Gentlemen, the topic is that way (pointing way over in the distance), let's hurry back shall we?

Nigel

I told you that you had the wrong map
dammmm left hand right hand nonsense

This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote

Just ferreting out all the all Norman type gear we have for the Robin Hood Movie opening cinema display tonight at Hoyts. Bet I don't see any "Independents" (ie sponging Freeloaders) at any of these events.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:56 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Rob.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote

As a qualified Instructor I wouldn't put you there, Nic.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote

Thinking more of a speciman who set out to emaciate the Norse

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote

Back on topic shall we people? Or has this poll done it's dash?
*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my point is this.

Just because Rob has had a bad experience with one or two former members of his club, who are now independant, it's not right that the rest of the independant re-enactment community should be tarred with the same brush.

Many of us who are independant spend a fair bit of time and effort doing stuff that clubs don't do, and we do it as part of our interest and commitment to re-enactment. I'm not talking about Taupo here, either.

Clubs are good. They give people a starter in the scene, and provide essential peer review at events, but individuals who operate outwith the club mantle have every bit as much of a place as the clubs themselves. You just may have to be move vigilant at combat time ensuring that an unknown (newbie?) independant is up to scratch.

How many newbie independants are there anyway? I've found it to be mainly older hands more into doing their own thing who run the jolly roger up the mast and yell "damn the torpedoes, I'm going it alone!"

N
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 pm      Reply with quote

Didn't know a coracle had a mast.

Sailin' their wee coracles... on the bog.

Independent Lords and Ladies, of all they survey... and a bit of the corridor.

Nah, fair call.

Clubs have a bit more leverage for the logistical projection thingy though.

If you can overcome the inertia of the crowd.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 am      Reply with quote

With due respect Nick, I have a suspicion that over two decades it's a little more than "one or two". The list is extensive. There are a few more out there who I suspect class themselves as Independents because they have been serially spat out and other clubs sensibly just won't have them.

Sadly the sport of Sword fighting can be attractive some apparently normal individuals who seem innocent at first (on their best), safe initially and OK on the Surface. But they have a hidden agenda (even sociopaths, religious fanatics and mentally ill). Clubs can have the thankless unenviable and difficult task of reining them in or weeding them out.

I vividly remember one Cult deranged nutter and norse emaciator who blithely accepted the generous largesse of free cinema tickets to "300" at the very moment when he subsequently went on to wreck extensive reenactment mayhem. This was after he had a referance to present on club letterhead to the Courts for his Wilful Damage conviction.

Having said that there were two nice Independents tonight at our Robin Hood Movie Display who were perfectly lovely.

I would have thought from the Regular reports I had of your sigificant involvement in and support of the Dawn Reivers, that was where your alliegance lay. I apologise for that mistake.

Your perceptions do not tar all clubs. An effective club should not hinder members from pursuing their personal and meaningful interests and if the club does that, than leaving that club is entirely justified. Clubs should not operate as Gangs.

That's exactly why I left both The Auckland Norse and Auckland Sword and Shield in the 1990s because they both attempted to cramp my own style.

It was clear that to follow my interest in premedieval history another group was needed.

I have always ethically discouraged applicants to the Romans from leaving other clubs where they may already be members .

Once out of the Newbie Stage, perhaps, Veteran members, rather than hoisting their colours for the Spanish Main and a life of Brigandage, should follow a Path of Ethics, Honour and Chivalry. They should "pay it back" to subsequent students and Support Their Club!

Last edited by Gaius Drustanus on Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:00 am      Reply with quote

No hard feelings Nick that you are an Independent. You and Ishtar are very welcome to join us tonight for the next "Robin Hood" cinema Display. Just PM me for the details.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am      Reply with quote

I don't doubt the Robyn Hood Movie Premiere will be a good one but I would like to see some Viking ones, there's not many out there, we need more we are not all English, Katlin.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote

Can't think of any upcoming Viking flicks unless you count the Marvel comics 1 with Aesir for Africa.
There is a Roman 1 called called "Centurian". Whether it gets to NZ?. Might go straight to DVD. "Last Legion" did & it was OK. The one set in 1348 about the Black Plague = a medieval horror thriller. Maybe "Prince of Persia".
Anyone know of others?

Page 3 of 5

Jump to: