Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Minimum archer training for combat

Should there be a standard level of competence required for all combat archers?
NO. Anyone of any skill level should be able to participate
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
YES. There should be a LOW minimum standard required
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
YES. There should be a HIGH minimum standard required
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am     Minimum archer training for combat Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

While it's still topical, I'd like to introduce another related topic into the combat archery discussion.

It's been suggested that in England, there is a very high standard required of archers before they are allowed to take the field in combat.

It's also been pointed out that English battles have many thousands of combatants compared to perhaps one hundred at most in New Zealand, and therefore it's not practical to apply the same standards and restrictions here.

On the one hand, if we were to agree on and impose a minimum skill level requirement, we would presumably reduce the risk of participant or public injury through fielding more experienced and accurate archers. A simple set of tests could be employed to determine skill level prior to battles or events and could potentially be integrated with the existing grading systems of clubs throughout the country.

On the other hand, if we continue to allow pretty much anyone who can shoot a bow into battle without any skill requirement at all, we are fielding many more archers than would have otherwise been the case. Through careful control of scenarios, range and target armour, risks can be mitigated enough to make this acceptable to most people. This has the added benefit of allowing people who would not have otherwise been interested in combat to participate, even through their own club (if they have one) does not practice archery. This is what we are currently doing at most events.

At one end of the spectrum you have higher risk, balanced against tighter control but many more archers and greater participation. At the other end of the spectrum you have improved accuracy and discipline, but far fewer archers in combat. Somewhere between the two there has to be a happy medium.

To an extent this discussion is tied into the 'flu-flu vs speed blunt' discussion, but for the purposes of making this simpler, assume we're using flu-flu's. If you want to make a point of difference and talk about speed-blunts, mention that in your post.

So, what do you think? What would you like to see? If you have a particular minimum standard in mind and some way of testing it, I'd love to hear from you too.

Cheers,
Nigel
Ben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 pm      Reply with quote

I don't think a minimum skill at archery is needed, however some kind accepted method of ensuring that all archers on the field understand the rules of the game and know how to check their combat arrows after each use to make sure they aren't firing broken arrows at us would be a good idea.
The only level accuracy that is required of archers is being able to not fire into the audience where one is present. Note that the audience should NEVER be in the direct line of fire (eg in a line battle they should be to the side of the field, not directly behind either line where they are vulnerable should a misfire or unexpected gust of wind put an arrow past the target).

Also, it is important that everyone on an archery combat field is wearing the minimum PPE required by the rules. THIS INCLUDES ALL MARSHALS AND NON COMBATANTS if they are to be on said field when the arrows are flying.
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:35 pm      Reply with quote

I have an authorisation card for SCA combat archery - actually, it's just expired so I'll need to renew it.

To get it I'll have to demonstrate my knowledge of the rules.
Questions on minimum armour requirements, equipment requirements, basic rules of the war field, how I know I'm dead, etc.

Practically, I'll have to show that I know what a safe bow looks like, which end of the arrow goes which way, and fire a bow in the rough direction of a target, that I have the required bits of armour and wear them correctly, I'll also have to show that I know what minimum range looks like.

Basically proving that I have some clue as to what I'm doing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:45 pm      Reply with quote

In order to fight with a steel weapon, a combatant needs to be vouched for by his/her club captian/MAA/Instructer at most of our events right? So really there needs to be at least the same requirement for combat archery.

I also think that there needs to be more accountablity by both the participant and the person who vouches for them, so that the standard of combat as a whole improves.

My 2c

Nathan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:28 pm      Reply with quote

It's a weapon, same as any other. You don't know at least the bare basics you have NO business being on a field.

My father taught me how to use a bow when I was 11 years old. Took him a while before he was willing to let me shoot without him being there to make sure I didn't hurt myself or anyone else.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:32 am      Reply with quote

While larger English re-enactment battles got big numbers of infantry, on average we got about 40-60 archers per show.
Yes, the standard was high, but no group would ever think of allowing a new archer on the battlefield without them being able to shoot consistantly. A new archer was prior trained, then put into a unit of experienced archers and drilled as a fighting team, on the morning of the battle.

We may have smaller numbers in NZ than in the UK, but the same principle is worth adopting. Archers should be drilled before the fighting starts.

As has been mentioned a bow is a weapon. No different to a spear or a sword. It`s not a fashion accessory for non-combants...
Maybe any future NZ show, war or battle, might give consideration to setting up a short-range flu-flu shooting range on which prospective archers could set their sights ? That might improve things a bit.

Outside that situation, for the new solo archer here`s an idea:
Set up a shield at ten paces. Take your brand-new bow and practice until you can hit it the shield 10 times out of 10 with flus/blunts. Then move the shield back to 20 paces.
Now repeat the process. Do that for one hour per day.
It takes at least six sessions to get results.
Increase the range as your accuracy grows.

My industry does this to train actors for film & TV. it works -except in the case of Jason Connery - ( Robin of Sherwood ) who could not shoot a bow to save his life !

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 pm      Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your excellent feedback. Keep it coming.

I'm going to shortly start a new thread on possible changes to the NAAMA Missile Combat rules, which will superceed the previous changes I proposed a few weeks ago. This follows on from conversations with a number of people, feedback from GD and a very valuable meeting held at Eketahuna Hard Camp this past weekend. Those who missed out on all this will still have the opportunity to comment before anything gets made final. Watch this space.

Cheers,
Nigel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: