Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Dark Age and early Medieval sword work.

Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:46 pm     Dark Age and early Medieval sword work. Reply with quote

I was having a talk the other night to a Norse mate and we were discussing Dark age sword work and the sorry lack of manuals.

I am of the opinion that if we look at the latter period medieval manuals we will find systems that were build on the past. Since all the manuals have so much in common around the basics it stands to my reasoning that Dark Age and early Medieval sword work must be very similar.

Bellow is a little excerpt written by Paul Wagner I like –
Quote:

When you look at what we do have from 1300-on, it remains fairly consistent in terms of it's basic biomechanics and actions right up the late 1500s. After than things changed for various reasons (guns = no more armour, no armour = no need for armour-cleaving blows, swords with complex hilts = no need to protect hands, etc ,etc)

The basics of "medieval" combat IMHO are:

* The use of "charged" wards (eg Vom Tag) to deliver (potentially) powerful blows, and keeping the relatively unprotected hands out of the way
* The use of passing footwork, used to move laterally as well as forwards and back, and generating power
* Cuts made up, down, and side-to-side with both edges of the sword, moving from ward to ward, and timed and powered with the movement of the hands then feet
* Defences that use the same cuts, but as counterattacks, deflective parries, beats and binds, etc
* The use of grips, throws, and in-fighting in close fight, using compatible biomechanical actions to the weapons play

Any school or instructor you can find who teaches I33, or Fiore, or German longsword or messer, or Marozzo, or even Silver, will teach you all the fundamentals that these systems have in common. Once you know what you're doing you can apply them to a crusader sword and shield - it will still be speculative, but you'll have a sound enough basis for it. Or, by then, someone might have found a Crusader manual!

I would be interested to know what Dark Age practitioners think about this.

GK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:26 am      Reply with quote

From the so-called Doebringer manuscript (1389):

"Here begins Master Liechtenauer’s art of fencing with the sword, on foot and on horseback, in armour and without. And before all things you should know and understand that the sword is only one art and it was devised and thought out hundreds of years ago."

13V. Translation by David Lindholm, emphasise mine.

14R & V. Refer to play-masters who think they've come up with new moves, but that they come down to 1. It's simply a new name to an old move or 2. It doesn't work in real fencing (outside playing).

So yes, you're right. The late medieval fencing treatises are based on earlier fencing systems. Both Liechtenauer and Liberi went around and learned from a wide range of masters before assembling 'their' art. I.33 is pretty much a system where the priest advocates how to beat the common fencer...noting that the term 'common' here isn't derogatory. All based on prior fencing systems.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:12 pm      Reply with quote

Colin posted some viking sagas, combat verse and what not, a while back.

Well worth swipe-ing.

I think these could stand as exploratory texts.

Constructing the supporting argument thusly : That in order for the a story teller to convincingly convey the tale they should speak within a context that is plausibly near- real to his listeners.

Yes, there are incidences of peoples legs coming clean off in the Sagas. (With a Norse sword the likelihood?)

But more commonly everyone gets a good maiming.

And those shots that hit are fairly well described.

The Old English poem The Battle of Maldon has some fine moments... michel geslagen... pertaining to the press of battle rather than the duel based fight comics we all know and love.

If you print the sagas out on waste paper you can read them on the loo.
stephan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote

i was just reading the song of roland ..
and fequently people are serverly wounded
hands off and necks cut etc from glancing shots off the helm and sheild

not that this is directly relateed but is combat in a story
frozenthunderbolt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:52 pm     Re: Dark Age and early Medieval sword work. Reply with quote

Gerard Kraay wrote:
I was having a talk the other night to a Norse mate and we were discussing Dark age sword work and the sorry lack of manuals.
GK

One assumes you mean original manuals, not modern interpretations?
I personally like the work of john Clements - He appears to do his research well and bases his techniques described on what actually works.

Apology in advance if I missed the point here Smile
frozenthunderbolt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote

Please disregard my above post. Further reading here has enlightened me to the folly of the Clements books. Apology.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: