Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Any lessons from Easter Camp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

ChronicD
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 am     To Craig - bummer dude Reply with quote

I wish you a speedy recovery mate. But you know you are a lucky bugger not to have lost it.

as for rules and regulations etc... basically i would say i dont know enough and am not up to date in any way shape or form. But i can make the observation from the few events i have been to over the last couple of years (basically as a spectator). The NZ historical re enactment community is going through some very rapid changes, many many new combat forms are being introduced to an ever growing number of people. Combat archery is a great example but i would also like to point towards the various events at the tourney in Taupo.

Basically what i am saying is that it seems that we are not keeping up with the changes and as such mistakes are being made - the unfortunate result is people get hurt. No ones fault just a fact that we play with weapons.

I have no suggestions - only an observation that may or may not help.

at least i hope to make you think about it.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:

If you generally allow the shooting of arrows at people`s heads, and injure someone, ACC will justifiably refuse to pay out. Because it will not be classed as an accident.

Ignoring the rest of the post for now, because it's late, but I do feel the need to squash the ACC bogeyman, as being irrelevant as a reason for improving safety standards.

Reenactment participants play the game without any intention of being injured, so any injury is accidental. Injuries may be unfortunately common, and are to be expected given the numbers and nature of the game, but they aren't intended.

Anyone intending to be injured probably needs their head examined for mental injury, and the person who physically injured them probably didn't intend to, so it's still an accident.

And anyway, under the Accident Compensation Act 2001 (Amended Feb 2010), ACC helps cover the treatment of injuries, including deliberately self-inflicted ones (yes, ACC will cover your treatment when you slit your wrists, though it only covers treatment for that, not entitlements for any loss of income), as well as those deliberately inflicted by another person, and most definitely those which are accidental.

So don't bother scaremongering with that one, we're still covered.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 am     Helmets Reply with quote

as to the "Archery combat rules" I wasnt at Easter weekend so I dont know if the requirements where followed but I do know that for an arrow safe helmet no gap wider than 5mm is allowed.
and as to the rules as a whole I will state now that any more training weekends that I run will use Nigels rules
If people dont like that then dont turn up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote

So you advocate no change, and you wait around until the next accident ?
-is that really a responsible strategy ?
Ban the head-shots and the problem goes away. How simple is that ?

It worked at the last NAMMA.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:44 pm      Reply with quote

Before you advocate changing any rules, it would pay to find out if the rules as they currently stand were being followed at the time of the incident.

If the rules say no gaps bigger than 5mm without mesh, and this incident was able to happen because there was a gap bigger than 5mm with no mesh, then it isn't the rules at fault.

I'm not aware of the circumstances of the earlier injury - were all the rules followed in that case?

If so, then it would be worth looking at which particular aspect allowed a failure to happen - eg if it was mesh fixed internally in a helmet, allowing it to be blown in, then requiring mesh to be fixed externally so it can't be blown in would be a solution, or specifying standards for the grade of mesh allowed, if it was due to deformation.

I know the standards of my helmet and mesh are sufficient that a shot in the head or face is the _least_ likely to cause injury, as it's the best armoured.

In non-headblow combat you still have to wear a helmet, even though it's not a target, that's because accidents happen.

If heads and faces aren't a target they should still be sufficiently protected against accidental shots (I'm not a fan of safety glasses as the only protection, as they don't protect the rest of the face), and if your protection standards are such that a shot to the face isn't going to cause injury, then you can quite easily choose to make it a target.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Ban the head-shots and the problem goes away. How simple is that ?

If only it was that simple. Dee, by her own admission, was surprised to have actually hit Craig in the head. Therefore, I take it, she must not have been intentionally aiming for his head.

And what about lobby shots? Aren't those shots designed to go up and rain down on the combatants heads (rather than directly aimed at their heads - giving them a chance to raise their shields, etc and prepare for the arrows coming in). Surely a blanket ban of 'no head shots' would forbid this type of archery combat?

D

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Fungus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:30 am     Any lessons from Easter Camp? Reply with quote

The difference, Stuart, will be that anyone taking the field to take arrow fire will have been vetted and given the OK to be out there. By me. (or Nigel or Redbeard).

The rules dont need changing, as when they are applied correctly, they work.

Fungus

Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote

Couple of points from me...

1) Fogging goggles: A small cube of onion rubbed over the inside surface solves this issue. Old Skiier's trick.

2) The rules work fine, if the combat gear standards are applied. Fix the gear, fix the problem.

3) What shot at Hamilton, Stuart? I assume that was one of my events, please be more specific. (or are you making up stories again?)

4) One accident does not invalidate the status quo, it just calls for a closer investigation of why it happened. From all accounts this is a random accident, which is going to happen the more we do of this.

I wish Craig the speediest recovery possible, and congratulate him for having a truly impressive campfire story. Let it be a lesson to us who enjoy being shot at that we should attend to our gear and hold no grudges over accidents.

Get well soon.

Nic
Brithem Rig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:58 pm      Reply with quote

I have the arrow in question, we are going to mount it for haggis, and I have seen the helm, it was a 1 in a million fluke. The shot did not hit him front on but from a slight angle, this tore the skin below his eye ripping out one of his tear ducts. I do not know if safety glasses, goggles or mesh would have prevented this or made it worse. The important thing is that haggis is fine with no loss of vision.
As to aiming at the head, that sounds more like something they would do in the UK, here in NZ we like each other too much to risk injuries and as we saw at Easter, accidents will happen even amongst experienced combatants. Anybody who continues to say that Dee was aiming for a head shot, can discuss it with me on the battlefield.
Remember we are using real weapons that can do real damage and I support all efforts to reduce the chance of similar incidents.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:37 pm      Reply with quote

Nick Harrison wrote:
"What shot at Hamilton, Stuart? I assume that was one of my events"

- you assume wrongly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Nick Harrison wrote:
"What shot at Hamilton, Stuart? I assume that was one of my events"

- you assume wrongly.

So please enlighten us, Stuart.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote

gosh from a person far away point of view, it seems that this is turning into a mini drama, from what I have read, and those involved have made peace and those in charge are rectifying the problem..so really all should be happy...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:23 pm      Reply with quote

I agree with Mad Jim. Let Bygones be bygones. Don't put out the Fire with Gasoleine. Bury the Hatchett. You'll catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar. Water under the Bridge. Least said, soonest mended! Let sleeping dogs lie!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 pm      Reply with quote

3 facts: I was not deliberately aiming for Craig's head.
:It was a totally random fluke event which happened.
: Craig and I have both learned and grown from thys.
What a wonderful community we have around us, that support is rallied for those that need it....random acts occur, of kindness, of hate, of love.....
Combat archery is a great game, and the risk's, have now become quite obvious, if anybody had any doubts before..The way forward is to revise and analyse a situation, and understand that random acts occur no matter how well in place safety requirements are for archer or infantry, accidents do, and can happen.. Head shots will always happen in combined arms, intentionally or not. Tis easier when it is one on one, to be aware of the incoming arrow, yet when there is a number of archers firing at once,it is not so easy to keep track of their flight path, upping the risk ante of head shots...therefore in light of the present direction, the safety protocols that are in place work for the best part of it....The God's play their hand as they see fit...
paegynwaye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 pm      Reply with quote

Sorry folk's. just needed to add that last comment.... I look forward to the next time of Non-injury combat archery wyth very brave infantry facing their hail-storm ......
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: