Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote

Thank you Joram!

much appreciated.

Nic
tank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 am      Reply with quote

yes thanx alot joram

they all have a simmurlar look as in basic helm design sholder design and neck protection its just the body i have found no maches on so far

is it likly that the body plate is a one off for the particular guy it was made for? or what?

cheers
tank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 am      Reply with quote

Tens of thousands of those types of armour were made throughout Europe over a 100ish year period, all had slight differences in style depending on the exact year, region and workshop that made them.

Hundreds if not thousands of them still exist in armouries, castles, private collections and museums throught Europe (and the rest of the world now), but very few have ever been published, either in academic works, catalouges or even on the internet.

As it is a basic design the chances are that there would have been more of that particular style made at the same time by that workshop (Armour making was big scale industry, not small one man workshops), there may even be more of them still surviving wherever that armour is.
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
Victorius wrote:
I know the harness above wasn't as likely to receive direct downwards blows,

Yes. It. Was.

Victorius wrote:
Getting outside my area now, if someone more qualified wishes to comment?

Oops, my bad, incredibly embarrassed! Should have checked what I wrote...especially as your post almost directly above specifically said this armour type would be hit downwards!

Correction made.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:55 pm      Reply with quote

i finaly found some referance to the suit ilv been looking 4 info on

there are moltiable chestplates of the same deisgn in a armoury by the name of Landeszeughaus
this serjest that it is munishions grade armour

and yes the armour is indeed german the helm is most likly a custom close face burgonet
the suit is dated very late 16th century

thanx to all those that have helped me with this inquest into the suit of armour

links to photos from this armoury are in the main forum under "3D armour and other photos"

cheers
tank

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: