Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Combat Archery

Gregor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:47 pm     Combat Archery Reply with quote

Hi
Would someone like to explain to me what is involved in combat archery and what gear is needed for an archer to take part? I have read the missile combat rules and the few posts on this list but a few more details would be nice.

Thanks
Gregor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Gregor,

OK, with combat archery, there's no restriction on age, ability or club affiliation, provided you can demonstrate basic competence and the ability to follow instructions.

I'm going to be running the combat archery for the big battle at Taupo 2010. Beyond that, I don't know what other opportunities there will be for combat archery at Taupo. Last year, there were a couple of ad-hoc requirements during other displays, but for those it will be a case of rounding up as many bowman as we can in the ten minutes notice we may get. There may be glow-archery, but that's a whole other story.

Equipment wise, you'll need to own or borrow a bow, and some combat arrows. If you want to participate in such a way that would see you on the battlefield as a target (i.e., you're carrying a bow or crossbow amongst the ranks of troops fighting and not shooting from the sidelines) then you'll need adequate armour and may require archery-safe protection (referred to as 'archery mesh') but could take many forms. The specifications for this armour are in the NAAMA Missile Combat Rules document that you can find under the Reference section of the forum. You will more than likely not be on the battlefield though, so you won't require protection unless you want it.

Now, there are two types of combat archery - we refer to them as light and heavy.

Light missile combat refers to situations where archers will audibly and or visually announce a volley so their targets are aware and can ensure their safety and then everyone fires a lobbed shot at their targets, such that the arrows arc high through the air. This isn't hugely effective but it does mean that the people you're shooting at don't need archery mesh because they are aware of the incoming arrows and can look away or cover their head with a shield. This looks good for the public when done en-mass. There is no restriction on the bow poundage for this. It tends to favour bows more than crossbows as it's hard to lob a crossbow effectively.

Heavy combat is where shots are unannounced, at will, and direct (not lobbed). This requires that the targets have appropriate protection - archery mesh on their helmet and a gorget to protect their neck. There is a 30lb draw limit for bows and a 600inch-lb limit for crossbows when used for heavy combat. The battles at Taupo will be making use of both forms, although I think the bowmen will be doing the lobbed shots and the on-field crossbowmen will be doing the direct fire.

Does all that make sense? Feel free to ask questions if it's not clear.

I'm going to make the assumption that you're using a bow and not a crossbow. So, basically, yes, you can do combat archery at Taupo, providing you have a bow and some regulation combat arrows... be careful with that last part as there are some arrows in circulation that won't be allowed onto any battlefield at Taupo, so check that they meet the specs before buying or borrowing them.

If you that way inclined, you can make your own combat arrows - it's not difficult but does require a few raw materials and a small amount of kit to get started. If you decided to go down that path, there is no shortage of other people willing to buy combat arrows if you want some extra money as there is unfortunately nobody making them commercially at the moment.

One other word of warning with regard to arrows - although our specs were originally based on the SCA specs, there are some critical differences. So if you know someone in the SCA who has combat arrows, you probably won't be able to use them with the NAAMA rules. The main difference is that we use flu-flu feathers whereas the SCA use speed feathers. Basically the SCA arrow feathers resemble normal target arrows but ours are oversized and silly looking. In practise, this means that ours don't travel as far and therefore could be said to be safer for use at public events or in places where you don't want your arrows overshooting too far if you miss your target... they are also great for aerial targets because you're not having to collect your arrows from several hundred meters away. I'm sure that someone from the SCA can provide a host of reason why theirs are better, but what it comes down to is the agreed rules we're playing by, and these are ours.

There may be people at Taupo that you can borrow arrows from - you'll probably only need three or four to get by. You'll have to befriend someone and ask nicely. I'm not going to commit any of mine to loan this time because I'm already likely to be lending to a number of friends as it is. However, there are plenty of people out there with arrows, it's just a matter of talking to anyone carrying a bow.

I'm assuming that you've got access to an appropriate bow? If you're not sure what's appropriate and what's not, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

I hope that has helped somewhat. Let me know if I can help further and I look forward to seeing you at Taupo. Feel free to come and find me and say hello - I'm the only guy with a yurt and most people know who I am.

Cheers,
Nigel
Gregor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks for that Nigel. If I read your post correctly I should be OK with the 45 pound longbow that I have because the longbow people will be doing the indirect type of combat.
I am attempting to get some materials together at the moment from your list of suppliers. I have heard back from the shaft people but not from the Blunt supplier.

Gregor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Gregor,

Let me know how you get on with the blunt supplier - it's been a while since I contacted them and I'd like to know if it's actually the correct email address still and what their prices are (someone told me they had gone up).

If you get stuck you can make do with the HTM Rubber Blunts from NZAP or other supplier. They're not quite as good and tend to leave a deeper bruise because the cross-section area is smaller than the Riverhaven blunts. But if you're stuck, they'll do.

http://www.nzap.co.nz/blunts.php#rubberblunt

Cheers,
Nigel
Gregor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:47 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel
I am not getting any action from that Email address at the moment. I will let you know what happens. I saw something on the web yesterday about an SCA guy in NZ that could supply blunts. I will have a look and see if I can find it again.

Gregor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:27 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel
Here is a reply I got from a different address for River Haven. A cheque to Australia could be a pain I would think.See the XL attachment for pricing.

Gregor

Greetings Greg,

Can help you with this. I’m the River Haven Captain of Archers, and have stocks of Mk III Combat Blunts.
24 Blunts will cost you $39.45 Aus, about $50.00 NZ. You can post off a Cheque for the appropriate number, and I’ll send them off by return mail.
Have a look at the attached Spreadsheet for comparative pricing. It is best if you get together with a few other Archers, and buy in bulk. The more you buy, the cheaper they become per unit.

Yours in Service

Lord Longshanks the Grey

Aka Trevor

NZ Blunt Sales Spreadsheet.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NZ Blunt Sales Spreadsheet.xls
 Filesize:  23 KB
 Downloaded:  680 Time(s)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:35 pm      Reply with quote

Isn't that a really good deal?

I know I've paid a lot more for a lot less in the past.
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:48 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah, that is actually a pretty good price. I do suggest that you press them a bit more and see if they'd be prepared to let you use PayPal rather than send them a cheque. If you have to send them a cheque then you'll need to find a way to do it for an Australian bank. You might be able to do this through Westpac, but I'm not sure.

Nigel
Gregor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:19 pm      Reply with quote

I've already asked them about paypal and waiting for an awnser.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 pm      Reply with quote

River Haven do not have a paypal account at this stage. ASB bank draft in Aussie dollars costs an extra NZ$22.

Any suggestions?

Gregor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:40 pm      Reply with quote

credit card?
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote

For those without a credit card/ cashole

Postbank Prezzy card. Prepay Visa put on what you want and pay $5.00 service fee and away you go.

cheers
Bogue
ann dugmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:34 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Gregor!
I've just sent off for some blunts from Riverhavan as well but did not fancy paying the extra dollars so sent a cheque - God knows when that will get cleared! We should have got together - next time I'll put in a large order and supply everyone!

Ann

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:11 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Anne
Yes the money thing is a real bugger.I ended up sending the money through Jonathan (Maggie's son) via his paypal account and he then sent a money order to River Haven. Not an elegent system but it should get the job done.

Gregor the Drummer

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: