Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Siege
Val-slöngva / Valslynge (Viking Seige Weapons)

Víkarr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 pm     Val-slöngva / Valslynge (Viking Seige Weapons) Reply with quote

I've been doing a bit of hunting for awhile now on seige weapons that might have been used by Vikings. At first I didnt expect to find anything but I was surprised to find references to them being used (with both stone and arrow missiles). My collection of information has since grown, with a few rough plans for construction. The terms valslynge and val-slöngva can be roughly translated as 'war-sling', 'catapult'.

I just wondered if anyone here could perhaps give me more information on these seige weapons.

Cheers,
V.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:05 pm      Reply with quote

From memory of a lecture at an Australian Medieval Convention there is a reference to Viking use of Seige artillary (ballista) in beseiging Paris in the 9th(?) century (Charles the Bald?). The Speaker suggested manually operated counterweight machines or trebuchet (periere?) were being referred too. Apparently the Avars (Yuan Yuan) brought them from the east around then or just before.
Osprey publish"Medieval Siege Weapons (1) Western Europe AD 585-1385". I have a copy of "Medieval Seige Weapons (2) Byzantium,the Islamic World &India AD476 - 1526". The Sequel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:52 pm      Reply with quote

Cheers Rob, that gives me a few ideas to follow up on and I'll definately be trying to track down those books for a look at.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Seige of Paris I've posted it here (references to the seige weapons in bold and underlined and not particularly informative). The text isnt that clear and I'm still tying to work out if they are firing directly from the ships themselves.

I've since come across a whole pile of other references too (most of them date a little later than this one):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Abbo's Wars of Count Odo with the Northmen in the Reign of Charles the Fat

[Text in Bouquet, Recueil des Historiens des Gaules et de las France, Vol. VIII, pp. 4-26].

885. The Northmen came to Paris with 700 sailing ships, not counting those of smaller size which are commonly called barques. At one stretch the Seine was lined with the vessels for more than two leagues, so that one might ask in astonishment in what cavern the river had been swallowed up, since it was not to be seen. The second day after the fleet of the Northmen arrived under the walls of the city, Siegfried, who was then king only in name but who was in command of the expedition, came to the dwelling of the illustrious bishop. He bowed his head and said: "Gauzelin, have compassion on yourself and on your flock. We beseech you to listen to us, in order that you may escape death. Allow us only the freedom of the city. We will do no harm and we will see to it that whatever belongs either to you or to Odo shall be strictly respected." Count Odo, who later became king, was then the defender of the city. The bishop replied to Siegfried, "Paris has been entrusted to us by the Emperor Charles, who, after God, king and lord of the powerful, rules over almost all the world. He has put it in our care, not at all that the kingdom may be ruined by our misconduct, but that he may keep it and be assured of its peace. If, like us, you had been given the duty of defending these walls, and if you should have done that which you ask us to do, what treatment do you think you would deserve?" Siegfried replied. "I should deserve that my head be cut off and thrown to the dogs. Nevertheless, if you do not listen to my demand, on the morrow our war machines will destroy you with poisoned arrows. You will be the prey of famine and of pestilence and these evils will renew themselves perpetually every year." So saying, he departed and gathered together his comrades.

In the morning the Northmen, boarding their ships, approached the tower and attacked it [the tower blocked access to the city by the so-called "Great Bridge," which connected the right bank of the Seine with the island on which the city was built. The tower stood on the present site of the Châtelet]. They shook it with their engines and stormed it with arrows. The city resounded with clamor, the people were aroused, the bridges trembled. All came together to defend the tower. There Odo, his brother Robert, and the Count Ragenar distinguished themselves for bravery; likewise the courageous Abbot Ebolus, the nephew of the bishop. A keen arrow wounded the prelate, while at his side the young warrior Frederick was struck by a sword. Frederick died, but the old man, thanks to God, survived. There perished many Franks; after receiving wounds they were lavish of life. At last the enemy withdrew, carrying off their dead. The evening came. The tower had been sorely tried, but its foundations were still solid, as were also the narrow bays which surmounted them. The people spent the night repairing it with boards. By the next day, on the old citadel had been erected a new tower of wood, a half higher than the former one. At sunrise the Danes caught their first glimpse of it. Once more the latter engaged with the Christians in violent combat. On every side arrows sped and blood flowed. With the arrows mingled the stones hurled by slings and war-machines; the air was filled with them. The tower which had been built during the night groaned under the strokes of the darts, the city shook with the struggle, the people ran hither and thither, the bells jangled. The warriors rushed together to defend the tottering tower and to repel the fierce assault. Among these warriors two, a count and an abbot [Ebolus], surpassed all the rest in courage. The former was the redoubtable Odo who never experienced defeat and who continually revived the spirits of the worn-out defenders. He ran along the ramparts and hurled back the enemy. On those who were secreting themselves so as to undermine the tower he poured oil, wax, and pitch, which, being mixed and heated, burned the Danes and tore off their scalps. Some of them died; others threw themselves into the river to escape the awful substance. . . .

Meanwhile Paris was suffering not only from the sword outside but also from a pestilence within which brought death to many noble men. Within the walls there was not ground in which to bury the dead. . . . Odo, the future king, was sent to Charles, emperor of the Franks, to implore help for the stricken city. One day Odo suddenly appeared in splendor in the midst of three bands of warriors. The sun made his armor glisten and greeted him before it illuminated the country around. The Parisians saw their beloved chief at a distance, but the enemy, hoping to prevent his gaining entrance to the tower, crossed the Seine and took up their position on the bank. Nevertheless Odo, his horse at a gallop, got past the Northmen and reached the tower, whose gates Ebolus opened to him. The enemy pursued fiercely the comrades of the count who were trying to keep up with him and get refuge in the tower. [The Danes were defeated in the attack.]

Now came the Emperor Charles, surrounded by soldiers of all nations, even as the sky is adorned with resplendent stars. A great throng, speaking many languages, accompanied him. He established his camp at the foot of the heights of Montmartre, near the tower. He allowed the Northmen to have the country of Sens to plunder; and in the spring he gave them 700 pounds of silver on condition that by the month of March they leave France for their own kingdom. Then Charles returned, destined to an early death.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm      Reply with quote

Interesting stuff on the seige engines. Why don`t we make one in Auckland ? I am willing to volenteer as an engineer/woodworker, and put up some funds for the build..
Anyone else ?

Regards,

Stuart.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:18 pm      Reply with quote

Think you can have it done in 4 weeks? Mr. Green

http://22ad.co.nz/events.html
Víkarr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Interesting stuff on the seige engines. Why don`t we make one in Auckland ? I am willing to volenteer as an engineer/woodworker, and put up some funds for the build..
Anyone else ?

Stuart, I could be interested in pooling resources with you. Give us a call so we can discuss what construction plans (if any) you had in mind.

V.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote

Well not if you waste time going to work and doing stuff like that no.

On the up side you can take the opportunity to come and see what everyone else has done and then avoid all their mistakes. I'm sure there's a few crewman still needed.

My own tip from this week would be do not stop the dropsaw blade with your fingers.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Victor
Did you get that information on Viking Age Catapults from the Authenticity Resources of Legion II Augusta? Watch out for any snake haired Gorgon monsters while cleaning out your garage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:07 am      Reply with quote

Rob, I recieved the materials you sent the other day. Interesting read. Much appreciated, thanks.

I am mostly cleaning the garage up in time for the inorganics but was surprised to find this (see image attached). I was considering firing it into one of the neighbouring encampments in a friendly gesture of goodwill with my siege weapon but seeing as its not made yet I might put it up on Trade Me (..or I'll just post it your way if you like it). Wink

V.

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
Hey Victor
Did you get that information on Viking Age Catapults from the Authenticity Resources of Legion II Augusta? Watch out for any snake haired Gorgon monsters while cleaning out your garage.

garage gorgon.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.02 KB
 Viewed:  18813 Time(s)

garage gorgon.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote

Join the army and get ahead.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote

A great way to get stoned
Stylish Serpent toupeed Gorgeous Gratuitous Gorgon Girlies gratefully received. Is the shiney Hoplon thrown in too?
Is that a rock solid offer?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote

Ha!
Good to hear that the Norsemen even had seige engines.

I wonder how big the amunition would be. I would enjoy getting out of the way of falling rocks, javelins being fired could be quite nasty though.

If anyone makes one give the Norsemen a call.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: