Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
New Fiore Long Sword DVD

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:09 pm     New Fiore Long Sword DVD Reply with quote

I have received my copy of the new Arts of Mars DVD directed and demonstrated by Colin Richards (http://www.artsofmarsbooks.com/).

First Impressions

1. It is very well produced and laid out.

2. It is also very basic and deals with only the real basics of Fiore "hand and a half" sword techniques. As such it provides a useful introduction to a new student who I think this DVD (the first in a series) is more aimed at.

3. The strikes covered are just the Fendente, Soltani and thrusts. These are all covered from a few of the posta. The correct angle of the cuts is displayed, which makes a welcome change to a lot of the other interpretations that I've seen Very Happy.

4. Most of the attacks seem to be thrown correctly in terms of true timing with the hand leading and the blow arriving with the footfall. However the hands aren't thrown forward quite as much to create an initial threat like we do (e.g. in UHSEMA and presumably LHSEMA).

5. Most of the footwork is also larger than ours (which also appears to be quite common with other European WMA schools) but Colin does say several times in his commentary that you can step small or large depending on the situation so maybe he steps large in the DVD to better illustrate the various steps that he is demonstrating.

6. Footwork partner drills are illustrated at the end of the DVD. My initial impression is that we tend to favour more lateral style of footwork.

7. Colin also does his Frontale a lot different to us, holding it and using it more from the mid line although he does comment that it can be held higher.

8. Further DVD's are alluded to in the DVD which I assume will build on the foundation laid down in this DVD.

9. There are a few minor differences in the way I interpret Fiore (a lot of my interpetation is also influenced by Colin McKinstry) and how Colin (Richards) inteprets it but I find that no matter how advanced you may think you are in your own training, it helps to further your study by seeing how other people do it.

In summary I found the DVD useful and well worth buying. I've only had one look through it and imagine that I will get more from it in the second and subsequent viewings. I am looking forward to the other (more advanced) DVD's alluded to in this one.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: