Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Culture and History
A reason for the viking age...

Boyd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:13 pm     A reason for the viking age... Reply with quote

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/09/17/viking-women.html

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
quentin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:39 pm     retitled:Infanticide causes sex starved males to migrate Reply with quote

Hmm. Don't think much of the write up!

There was an excellent discussion thread on 'The Vikings' forum years ago, but sadly I can't now find it.

Firstly, Infanticide has been common throughout history. (Even nowdays - we call it abortion but its still here, just with higher medical tech).
Its a lousy trick to blame it on any one culture or era.

Secondly, I have never seen archelogical evidence of large numbers of newborn graves. Anyone got any data?
In the absence of data its mere sensationalism.

Third, if indeed infanticicde was happening on a frequent basis then it very likely ties in closely with the (7year, in england) famine cycle. If the crops are bad and adults are expected to starve to death that year (the definition of famine!) then exposing a child may be a decision with very practical basis (and much heartbreak).
Remember that infant mortality is high anyway.

In any case, how they can tie "extremely risky voyages" to shortages of women is almost beyond me. Is the high number of kiwis going off on OE's to England tied directly to the low marriage rates of the 20th century?
Perhaps on the Discovery channel it is.....

Q

p.s. Boyd, dispite my rant my thanks for posting this! There are some ideas in that article which may not have been seen here before
Very Happy
Boyd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote

Ha ha-ha haa! Very Happy

Fancy thinking that scholarly types don't just leap to ridiculous conclusions on scant evidence... its science baby! Wink

Ryu_Soma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm      Reply with quote

eventually scientists are proven wrong, and the ones that prove it are also proven wrong in time...... it is a theory, one which other people will have different opinions, no one will ever know for certian.........until someone invents a time machine and actually see it for themselves Cool Cool Cool

On that note its rather interesting idea, if i was single i would definitely use that excuse for a dangerous voyage Mr. Green Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 am      Reply with quote

Didn't they say the same thing about why waves of Chinese men are going forth to seek there fortunes just a few years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 am      Reply with quote

Maybe the vikings were trying to pay back crippling student loans??

This theory does help account for the ferocity of the vikings - having an itch they just couldn't scratch! Wink

Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:13 am      Reply with quote

And Boyd did so chillingly accurately state:-
Quote:
Maybe the vikings were trying to pay back crippling student loans??

It would be nice to go a viking and come back with a paid off student loan.

But would they accept that as a vocation without me winding up in jail?

And while it is a mere 20K it's still a pain every month.

Cheers
Bogue the broke
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote

Bogue wrote:

I believe it's called the war in Iraq Shocked
crite40

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 pm      Reply with quote

Hail All!
I came across a very plausible reason for the Viking age a few days ago on Sky.
The guy to blame may be that nasty piece of work Charlemagne.
He was making tracks through Northern Europe forcibly "converting" the locals from their own religion by giving the a choice of conversion or death.
When that news got North I bet it gave the Vikings ideas of getting their own back on the Xtians, defending themselves and incidentally getting loot at the same time. Certainly the dates make it look very possibe.
It coincides very well with improvements in Scandinavian ship and sail design.
Nathan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
Bogue wrote:

I believe it's called the war in Iraq Shocked

I do belive that there are parts of North Eastern Africa that with a good raid, seeing as Nato/UN/treehuggers.inc cant do anything offically (sorry just read the paper)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:39 pm     with a few good men Reply with quote

and the associated battle cruiser group....

We Could raid North Eastern Africa. And there is this nice little isolated monastry called Bahrain just along the coast....
BigMac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:26 am     Re: with a few good men Reply with quote

quentin wrote:
and the associated battle cruiser group....

We Could raid North Eastern Africa. And there is this nice little isolated monastry called Bahrain just along the coast....

You supply the transport, beer and chips and I'm in Twisted Evil

TTFN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote

With the current inbalance in the ratio between men and women in China, perhaps we should expect an even bigger Asian horde to be coming a-vikkinging soon in souped up sanpans and 'dragon' boats.............
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: