Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Equestrian
Jousting at Horse of the Year

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 am     Jousting at Horse of the Year Reply with quote

Last Friday night Order of the Boar did a jousting display as part of the equine extravaganza at Horse of the Year in Hastings.

While probably of no interest to the majority of the people here, there are a number of people in the wider re-enactment community who I would like to acknowledge as we couldn't have done it without them.

Richard Joule and his mum Julie for helping us settle in when we arrived and for their help up to, and during the display.

David Smith (Redbeard) for MCing the event at very short notice and basically saving our skin (the jousting took place in conditions of twilight and while the display got off to a good start, natural light vanished almost instantly in the mid part of the display and we had to joust under flood lights for the first time that upset a couple of the horses. Dave was able to keep the display alive while we adapted to this and gave us time to get back into our stride and finish on a high note).

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 am      Reply with quote

Congratulations and well done Callum.

Sounds like another triumph. Very Happy

Nic
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:20 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks Nic. I am all jousted out at the moment and am enjoying the switch to WW1 mounted rifles for our next event Very Happy .

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote

I'll bet you are!

WW1 will be a welcome change then. Have fun.

N
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 pm      Reply with quote

did you do lots of shopping??!!! Laughing
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:27 pm      Reply with quote

gt1cm2 wrote:
did you do lots of shopping??!!! Laughing

No. I was a good boy Very Happy

Could have spent heaps but in the end just brought a new saddle blanket for Rhiannon and a pair of plastic jump stands.

You could easily spend a fortune there though Shocked

paegynwaye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 pm      Reply with quote

Well done Callum, I believe Joe Lumsden, and the Rough Riders had the same problem wyth there horses re-acting to the flood lights coming on at last years show...Pity a better time slot couldnt be allocated, or shows that flood light training could be a good thyng. Look at Bucephalus, he was afraid of his shadow... shows what can be done wyth the right training, and the right rider.. Good luck for Omaka
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:01 am      Reply with quote

Thanks Denise.

Our boys weren't too bad. Just a bit of minor bulking in places by a couple of them although PJ and Jake couldn't care less. Apparantly a lot of horses in the other acts this year also had the same issues. I missed most of these although I got back in time to see the last act and they had major issues but were running their horses as a pack so got away with it. At least all our guys were able to cope with it all out on their own.

Still something to improve on and we will be setting up temporary lights in our arena and doing some work at dusk over the off-season just to get them more used it it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: