Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Banning swords
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thaner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Pee wee, I make no claims to expertise. I research, study and practice. I reflect alter and try again. I've put a lot of work, time and money into this. I've never assumed "expert" status. Maybe one day I'll have earned it, but not this day.

Quote:
I do believe, and it is based on well-over ten years of observation that what a lot of people call medieval "re-enactment" is done extremely poorly. I will admit over the last few years there has been an overall improvement. Something to praise seeing the years of stagnation. Unfortunately there is still a long way to go

make your mind up.

Gotta love backseat drivers..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:38 pm      Reply with quote

The interesting thing about rumours is that they only require one point of view.

Having been out of the WMA/Re-enactment circle in NZ for a good year or so now (the odd training never counts as properly getting back into it), I don't feel qualified to really say what is good and what isn't... and so I'll just repeat what the best trainer I ever had said.

"We do this because it's fun. What is authentic for one person is not for another... but whatever you do, please don't be a weekend warrior and take some pride in your kit."

Make what you will of that one - for me, it is to have fun in what we do, to respect others styles and opinions and to do the best you can with what you have.

FTR - I heard fourth hand about the plastic swords and drunken individuals. The matter was dealt with so negative image can easily be balanced with self-policing and quiet matter handling.

Take care all - I miss the lot of you here in the US.

Fruitbat

Alan.
Vana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:54 pm      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
Pee wee, I make no claims to expertise. I research, study and practice. I reflect alter and try again. I've put a lot of work, time and money into this. I've never assumed "expert" status. Maybe one day I'll have earned it, but not this day.

As for Bruce Lee. Strangely he learned martial arts first before changing what he learned. He also looked at other martial arts and integrated those into his new martial art (e.g. savate's coup de chasse). He didn't "make it up". Bruce Lee was against techniques based purely on tradition (as in this is the way it was always done). He is so misquoted it isn't funny.

As for more experience, well I look forward to it. Though as I recall, I was studying WMA long before you got into it (assuming you've ever bothered to look at it). You even once asked me to teach axe, for which my reply was I wasn't ready to teach axe. So I'm amused by your "tough talking" reply.

**Wow.

Colin.

Youre a real piece of work.

[quote="Colin"]Pee wee, I make no claims to expertise. I research, study and practice. I reflect alter and try again. I've put a lot of work, time and money into this. I've never assumed "expert" status. Maybe one day I'll have earned it, but not this day.

**Im pretty sure this is how most naama fighters would discribe their approach to their chosen style of fighting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:39 pm      Reply with quote

Oh for pity's sake I didn't realise I needed to spell out everything in minute. So what do "most naama fighters" research and study? I've been around numerous NAAMA-affiliated clubs, even some fairly recently. Are you going to claim "most naama fighters" go off and research and study I.33 as an example? What do they do when almost all targeting is illegal to that rule-set? A stab-knock to the chest is not the same as a stab-knock to the face. In fact the trajectory can make the former hazardous to ones health whereas the latter keeps one safe (assuming of course relatively equal heights). This all has to do with triangulating the attack, so as a result the chest strike version is dumb. How on earth would "most naama fighters" rectify this, if at all?

As for "backseat driving", what's so difficult to understand? I don't claim to be an expert on WMA. For a starter I don't read the original languages of the various fencing treatises very well. Ergo, I need to rely on other people's translations. IOW to claim expertise I need to learn French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and possibly Polish. At the moment I can only read a smattering of key words.

Then of course I'm, unlike the various claims here, open to re-interpretation (IOW I've been wrong). Admittedly people who talk out of a hole in their arses tend to get ignored, but in October last year (2008) I once again changed an important aspect of the fight due to being confronted with a different interpretation. I didn't go with the other interpretation, but came up with an alternate fix and my current re-interpretations are dealing with the ramifications of such. For example last Monday my original interpretation of schielhau was failing, so it needed mildly adjusting. If I was some sort of expert, I wouldn't need to do this type of thing. I'd already know it. I've gone through this scenario more times than I can remember.

I'm also dealing with the six common positions in I.33, which I've yet to fully re-integrate. I'm liking it more and more, but to say I've got how each position is definitely assumed from the patient's counter-attack is presumptuous (my recent re-interpretation has blown away my original assumptions). It's a very interesting puzzle. It has forced me to re-examine the lying the folds in the cloaks, the hand positions, and even how they're standing (especially tippy-toed). Curiously my new interpretation enables the "tippy toed" position, and one of Callum's students has volunteered a robe. It will be interesting to see if it matches the pictures.

Possibly boring to you, but in my mind means I've still got a long way to go.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Robbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 pm     Re: Excuse me? Reply with quote

Completely on topic for sword banning. No thread drift what so ever.

Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:55 pm      Reply with quote

gee this topic sounds familar

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1056&highlight=

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm      Reply with quote

gt1cm2 wrote:
gee this topic sounds familar

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1056&highlight=

He's probably watching and lurking about somehwere, beating his heat in frustration that he can't say "I tried saying it all earlier".

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:06 pm      Reply with quote

Back to the banning swords topic...

Do Maori groups train with taiaha etc in public areas, or (semi) private places like Marae?

Likwise, what about Scottish groups doing their sword dances, or various parade grups that have sabres at their waists?

If anyone knows about these groups, can we know what they do about their weapons? Have they considered any of the potential problems we're currently (?) discussing? After all, we're not the only groups who use swords and pre-firearm weapons. If so, what have they come up with?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Guys
WOW this went a bit hostile Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mr. Green Mr. Green
I saw Colins comment regarding the Taupo event late last night and restrained myself from replying Rolling Eyes Needn't have bothered, well done to those who challanged his assumption that hearsay was actual evidence Very Happy
A brief read of Colins own forum will reveal his own complaints about similar tresatment from the reenactment community Confused Confused I guess you can have it both ways Rolling Eyes

To the people who put in the work and effort for Taupo 2009, BLOODY GOOD SHOW!!!!! I was at the first one and could only see great potential for promoting Reencatment and WMA(with or without Colin).

The "swords" used by the Scottish country dancers are almost always horrible aluminium replicas that only vaguely resemble an actual weapon. At the top level dancers do dance over real swords, in every case that I have seen they have been heavily blunted regimental pattern items.
I hope to get to a Games in Scotland and will pay special attention. The very strict knife laws in Scotland make specific exemptions for weapons carried while in national dress, this includes dirks, swords, targe and the ubiquitous sgian dhu.

Wow lots to cover here, must have a lie down Very Happy
Phil
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 am      Reply with quote

Banning swords is rediculous, trying to keep all people happy is rediculious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:46 am     Re: Perhaps Reply with quote

Colin wrote:

From Wikipedia: "Martial arts are systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat." Made up stuff does not qualify as a martial art. What I learned when I was a re-enactor was made up stuff. IOW not a martial art. Fun in its own way, but fun does not make a martial art.

And exactly where did these systems of codified practices and traditions come from in the first place? Did the spring fully formed from the ether?

No it took experimentation and trail and error not to metion bloodshed and violence to produce. ie they made it up and saw what worked.

This time tested method was then used by those trying to recover a lost art and culture and given the lack of reference marterials I think the first re-inactment pioneers did brillently.

What they produced WAS a system of codified practices and traditions and while I would conceed that it could be considered a soft martial art due to it not being intended for actual combat, it was a martial art.
Just because we may have learned superior, better researched, more time tested and historically accurate techniques since dosen't mean that all that hard work of a few inderviduals should be scorned or derided.

Pull your head in.

I know you can make reasoned and intelligent comments and express opinions without resorting to cheap shots and prejudices. Please do so or be true to your signiture and leave the forum.

TTFN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote

Taupo was supposed to be a backdrop rather than a focal point. Take what you will, but one of those who mentioned the drunks used to do re-enactment years ago. I suppose he's got a "political agenda" and thus can be dismissed. (The commonality of all those who mentioned the drunks all have young children). At any rate, even if the whole scenario was based on people with plastic swords, the general public aren't discerning. None of those that told me about it described them as plastic weapons people, but rather as re-enactors or "medieval people".

Personally Taupo is almost a non-event. It might be important to you, but it isn't to me. It would be a complete non-event except people proceed to tell me about it Rolling Eyes I'm already tired of being embroiled over something as I said was supposed to be a backdrop. From my point of view I used it because it was a.) recent and b.) theoritically neutral (gosh was I mistaken). That you're feeling jolly good about yourselves is great and you can dismiss negatives as belonging to "other people". Certain members of the public don't agree. You can either accept this or you cannot. It doesn't invalidate my point I was trying to raise: that being a negative image.

Mike, it's an interesting question about when martial arts developed in the first place. Given various pre-writing depictions of stick-fighting and the like, I'd say "what worked" developed before writing, i.e. killing has been around a long time. Certainly some of the language of the ancient Greeks indicate a presence of military adventure (e.g., the hypotenuse).

The first "pioneers" did brilliantly, but then those people predated WWI (Francesco Novati, Captain Alfred Hutton et al). They did so mostly because they worked with the source material. What you most likely refer to was "theatrical fencing". A system designed for actors to use on stage. The teeth of martial content being removed (it has no concept of time and measure for example). That someone tried to use this as the basis for fighting was bizarre. Trying then to defend that result as a martial art is also bizarre. Just because someone swings a stick in his backyard doesn't make it a martial art. Children do that all the time.

As for banning swords. As I keep stating, I'm unaware of any attempt to restrict swords. My point was if you're paranoid about any such legislation was to keep your own area clean first (it then divulged into whether or not political agendas exist or not Rolling Eyes It's amazing what people will take out of context.)

The limited knowledge I have of training with Maori weapons is that they run like typical martial art schools. They're mostly private, but do public displays every so often. In fact the ones I've directly dealt with are extremely keen to run them exactly like other martial art schools and want to be seen as legitimate martial arts.

Scottish groups that use swords are similar (though Philip is correct in that they're usually aluminium). Most training in the dances occur in halls (i.e. private) and do public displays like at St Andrew day celebrations.

Not to say there aren't exceptions, but the ones I've dealt with follow this pattern.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote

Can we all stop falling out with each other, slagging each other off , and get back to re-enactment, WMA, or whatever.
-and close this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Can we all stop falling out with each other, slagging each other off , and get back to re-enactment, WMA, or whatever.
-and close this thread.

Well said that man. And thank you to whoever did actually lock this thread.

Look the lot of you, you're all adults. None of you would behave like this if you were in the same room together, so why do it here. You all know there are plenty of people here with strong opinions and you all know you're not going to change each others minds by beating each other up and restating your own position.

This is the WMA forum, and Colin has every right to moderate it. Like it or not he's among the most knowledgeable of you when it comes to this material. The debate over the meaning of 'martial art' is petty - just agree to disagree. You're all doing it differently and you're all scattered along the continuum of authenticity so there is no black and white. Colin is as far removed from re-enactment as fencing, karate, and special ops training - it's not the same thing. Sometimes we read the same historical sources, but we have a very different focus - don't be tempted to compare and contrast them as if they were the same thing.

In this case I think there have been a number of near misses regarding formal warnings. In the spirit of not being the over zealous bad guy with the stick, I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt and assume you just misunderstood the thread topic. Please don't bait each other and please stay on topic.

Nigel
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: