Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Tinker Swords
Goto page Previous  1, 2

WarGod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:31 am      Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm hoping I can clear up some confusion regarding these Tinker/Hanwei swords.

Reading a couple of the posts it seems some of you are discussing the Viking Sword Blunt but it has not been released yet it is still in the development phase so I am a little confused in that regard myself.

The blades do have a fair amount of flex in them but most of it is in the last 8-10 inches of the blade, and as stated above this is essentially because the Americans like to use the thrust against little to no armour. This is why the standard Hanwei Federschwert has so much flex as well.

With regards to the temper they are actually tempered slightly higher than the Practical series which many people seem to be using.

I also think it pays to keep in mind that these swords, while expensive here, are indeed considered entry level swords by international standards. In fact ALL the swords on my website at least are considered entry level.

The single biggest thing to keep in mind however are that most of these Tinker/Hanwei swords are not designed for re-enactment combat. The edges near the tip are far to thin and the point is capable of piercing a standard 3 weapon fencing mask in the right circumstances. They are designed to be used with a blunt tip duct taped to the end and Hanwei will be supplying these with the swords in the future. Tinker explains this on his site here: http://www.tinkerswords.com/safefencing.html
Of course I'm not saying they could not be used for re-enactment combat, only that Tinker did not expressly design them with this purpose in mind unlike the standard Hanwei Practical line. The real advantage of this new line however is if you want a blunt trainer to handle exactly like your sharp trainer (and yes this is only of benefit if you purchase both versions!).

However the good news is that Tinker will be releasing some models aimed at re-enactment and has stated:

Quote:
some swords designed primarily for the reenactment market will feature permanently mounted hilts with a period-style peened tang construction and will be offerred as 'reenactment blunts' rather than practice blunts. These swords blunts will be engineered to meet the requirements of reenactment societies with a thicker edge and more rounded point.

This will include the Viking Sword Blunt and possibly the 13th Century Greatsword thats also in development but as yet none of these are available. There's also talk of adding a Messer to the line for those interested.

I hope this helps somewhat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:55 am      Reply with quote

thanks man that clears that myth up, still I like the look and pull apart system of the tinker....cheers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:24 am      Reply with quote

Guys I have just last night seen the Tinker swords available and purchased one of the longsword blunts.
Very, very nice swords, very high temper, nice flex to the blade. Some of the best entry swords I have seen.
Look border line for NAAMA safety spec, will get out my calipers and have a look, tip would need a blunt if thrusts to the face were allowed.

One of the best lines I have seen.

GK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm      Reply with quote

cool fill us in if the sword will be good for naama rules and general reanactment please cheers...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote

how much again?
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote

tinker longswords around the $580-$600 mark, I want one! that and Hans Toblers book on the German longsword
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: