Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
Roman belts

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:29 pm     Roman belts Reply with quote

im having trouble making a roman belt,
does anyone know how it was buckled together? was it the same sort as modern one or is there some sort of clip. Embarassed
Stephen
stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:02 pm      Reply with quote

hey

a strip of leather with a stylised eg a norse style or roman style
will suit most kits of any area

however a commoner or soilder may not be able to afford the expensive labour and materials to create a fashion asscesory
so ...

to be more genral a plain buckle and strip of decent leather will suit most periods as well
anglosaxonz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am      Reply with quote

I believe a round buckle belt suitable for a roman legionaire if you have a light brown belt and some leather strips of same colour as well as rivots/flat studs you could possibly make one ... Otherwise those belts that had large buckles with animals or large rectangular ones with designs on could work well.... To give you and idea take a look at the following page

http://www.romegiftshop.com/anromclot.html

It gives some good pictures of replica roman belts they make and sell but look fairly good and could help you with putting your kit together

I think Simple would be the other way to go if starting out just a leather belt with solid round buckle which you can always upgrade later to something that looks a bit flasher....after all we all start somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:30 am      Reply with quote

Hi There
Roman belts are trickier that you might think
have a look here http://www.armamentaria.com/store/ for some belt fittings. I have met the proprietor, and he knows his stuff
have a look at this one

and the wide one in this picture

hope it helps
Phil
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote

You haven't said which period you want. Phil's pics show Late Empire period (about 284 AD onwards). If you want Imperial Period (31 BC - 235 AD), try making what these guys show:
http://www.quietpress.com/Roman_Brooches_and_Belt_Fi.html
Just rivet the buckle and plates to a wide leather strip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 am      Reply with quote

Why does the guy have black spots on his tunic?

TTFN

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:53 pm      Reply with quote

Isn't it obvious? He's been inhaling through his nose over a sooty fire. Then he sneezed. Them there's giant sooty bogeys
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: