Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Acceptable dsign of helms vs historical authenticity.

crite40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 am     Acceptable dsign of helms vs historical authenticity. Reply with quote

Acceptability of my helm design?
Heres a shot of my home made helm. The design was developed from old 10th and 11th century illustrations that showed cross banding (presumably steel or iron strips.
My first model used just that but IMO gave inadequate protection so I came up with this design.
All the work was done in my basic workshop with all parts sourced locally in Helenesville.
The mild steel bands now cover more of the head and between them I have 2 thicknesses of about 3/4mm saddle leather. The only concession to the 21st century is the moderd shock absorbing foam liner.
On minor change over the old design was to slightly extend the side bars into
"mini nasals" which they really should have done back then. It really helps to keep your ears on in a fight!
Now I was not trying to look like a jarl. Just a trader or craftsman (which I am) so Sutton Hoo type face covers and such were definitely out.
Whats your opinion? Could it be called authentic, and if not why not?

Picture 170.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.96 KB
 Viewed:  12947 Time(s)

Picture 170.jpg

griff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:59 am      Reply with quote

is there a steel bowl under the leather or is it just the two layers of saddle leather?
do you intend to use it in combat? (head blow of course)
if you do then i suggest a bowl covered with leather.
somebody on here is bound to know where to get a bowl from.
hopies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am      Reply with quote

geh bowl. Tru Justin for armour tips (allfiredup)

I think yuor leather is going to be buggered after a couple of hits.

If it is for headbow make sure you have one heck of a lot of paddin in there.

Plus the moment that leather gets hit me thinks it will split.

basic design is good.

Mark 2 will be better though (always is)

Sophie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote

no bowl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plz

you can try 4 triangles of Metal under the lever like a

Spangenhelm
have a look at http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/spangen_ab/patterns/SpangenPlate1.jpg
--

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:38 pm      Reply with quote

A straight leather helm, sans metal bowl, is unacceptable for head blow. Be just as silly as walking into the same fight when your helm is made out of the sides of a washing machine.

Marshall's perspective: Wouldn't let either of them field ever again

Bowls are easy enough to come across bro. Most of the armourers here can get you one cheap. Or you can experiment with riveted plates, etc.

Just my 0.0002c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote

the ear bar you have put is totaly historical and can be seen in various pictues
Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm      Reply with quote

What a flash back, we used to have a whole lot of Helms like that in AS&S in the 1980's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote

Smile Well That's good to know! Thanks for the feedback!
My helm was based on a lot of reading and historical research, combined with
practicality, including 2 visits to Scandinavia and many Viking centres and museums.
Scandinavian farmers and craftsmen were not all rich men and while a steel cap would be fine and dandy the question has to be asked. Would you rather go into combat wearing my helm or a cloth or leather arming cap and nothing else? It would be a very narrow bladed axe that would hit only leather and a sword stoke would have even less chance of doing the same.

I have always tried to make as much of my own equipment as possible and to be as authentic as I reasonably can be.
Thus all my equipment was made either by myself, or my adult son (who used to make swords and knives).
The only exceptions are my longbow (only 36 lbs) these days as I'm an old timer and my dress spear, which started life as a prop in the TV series "Zena warrior princess" and turned up at a garage sale some years ago.
I must get some better pictures of my full outfit so you experts can give me more feedback.
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote

Smile

You asked about the acceptability of the helm. For some reason, I think most of us thought you wanted opinions based around entering combat at one of the events held here in NZ.

Whilst more than historically accurate, the concern is a purely safety one. The helm looks great dude and your research is impressive.

...but if you try to enter combat (outside of your own club), there's a high possibility you'll be told it's not acceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:37 am      Reply with quote

Thanks, you are quite right of course.
Historical authenticity was the real aim.
Since I'm 68 I'm a bit old for the shield wall these days, unless things get really tough.
My thought was basically- what would an ordinary freeman or craftsman be able to afford for self defence and when he was called up by his jarl or other ruler. Not what a rich successful Viking would have (something like the Sutton Hoo helm probably).
My leather and steel plate amour is based on the same philosophy.
It was very good to hear that my 10th century "ear defenders" were historically accurate!!!
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote

crite40 wrote:
Thanks, you are quite right of course.
Historical authenticity was the real aim.
Since I'm 68 I'm a bit old for the shield wall these days, unless things get really tough.
My thought was basically- what would an ordinary freeman or craftsman be able to afford for self defence and when he was called up by his jarl or other ruler. Not what a rich successful Viking would have (something like the Sutton Hoo helm probably).
My leather and steel plate amour is based on the same philosophy.
It was very good to hear that my 10th century "ear defenders" were historically accurate!!!

Go a-viking (raidin), maybe he'd come across a couple of Franks and kill one of them, take his helmet. There you go: gets you good quality Frankish gear, as would have been worn by an historical Norseman who took it off an historical dead body. Authenticity then not a problem.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: