Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Metal, Wood, Bone, Glass
home forge+other stuff

Keeghan_M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:02 pm     home forge+other stuff Reply with quote

Hi

I am interested in getting into blacksmithing and thought first thing ill need is a forge, i thought maybe just a small little one to start out with, something like an oven, like this one:

or the one that James had at taupo.

Thought maybe stick a pipe up out the top with a grill on top and bottom with a fan in the middle blowing out, and the same on the side but with the fan blowing in, so the side fan blows air in like bellows, and the top one sucks out the smoke.

Just wondering whether this would be practical or just completely stupid. Also id prefer it to just sit on a bench if thats possible

Next, tools, where can i get them from? I though maybe trademe or here, or maybe places like trash palace.

And last, the metal, both rods and sheets, where can i get it? is it easy to get or is there a lot of searching around involved?

If anyone can help me with any of this it would be much appreciated.

thanks
Keeghan
Frosty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:15 pm      Reply with quote

hey dude!
ive got my own forge which i built myself.

i have o idea if your idea would work ill leave that for someone else to answer.
as for tools and metal...
tools just go digging around your local second hand/antique shops. you will be amazed at what you find.
when you are starting out.(like me) you can get all the metal you want to muck around with from a scrapyard. take some nice gloves with you though. a hacksaw isnt a bad idea either

once you know a few things and have something specific in mind you can buy steel (sheet or rod) from fletcher steel. bearing in mind it is expensive.

for an anvil i am still using a piece of railway. be careful getting it though. you can get in DEEP Excretum!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:55 pm      Reply with quote

Tools - once you have a forge, um, make them. You only really need a hammer and some steel.

Have a look at www.anvilfire.com These guys live the fire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 pm      Reply with quote

@ frosty:
built a forge? hmm, how hard was that? Also scrap yards sound like a good idea, and yeah, gonna try go to trash palace 2morro(brilliant place).

Railway, hmm lol that wouldnt have the small beak on the end though would it? Im sure i could probably actually find one on trademe or something. Course id probably be looking at about 150-250 + postage and my mums just bought me a $270 bow, so, hmm, yeah.

@ Nathan:
For tools i was thinking more of hammers than anything else. Ill definitely check that website out.
Keeghan_M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:37 pm      Reply with quote

anyone else?
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 am     Forgery Reply with quote

Asbjorn the Brave.
You wanna forge I've got a truck hub one I don't use.
All it needs is a blower (I just use an old vaccy cleaner on blow)
$20.00 and pickup and it's all yours. I'm in Palmy

Cheers
Bogue
Keeghan_M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote

hi bogue

any pics? sounds like a good price etc, just palmy, hmm mum says she will think about it, going to levin for medieval market in a week, thats 1/2 way, going to palmy sometime for another camp(not sure when that is). Will get back to you soon.

thanks
Keeghan
Frosty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote

bil uddie hell mate!
hey bogue if he doesnt take it id love it!
my forge is about as rough as they come... i would love a forge that i can actually take places. and that is the right height!

let me know if he doesn't want it
id be very much interested!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote

haha

hiya bogue

has been discussed and we will take it, will pick up after the medieval market in levin, if youd like to PM me your address etc thatd be great.

Sorry frosty, well, if its portable ill probably be taking it to camps with me, i.e, if you find me, u can probably use it at camps lol.

Now, to find tools and get to some scrap yards. Wonder whether i could find tools at levin...

Last edited by Keeghan_M on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frosty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:06 pm      Reply with quote

hahaha awesome!!
if i can use it im happy to teach you what i know
i may be moving to palmy soon...(2-3months)
not sure if i can bring my forge with me though

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:24 pm     Forgery Reply with quote

Hey Frosty you come down I help you build one OK?

Cheers
Bogue
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: