Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Filament tape for wrapping arrows

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm     Filament tape for wrapping arrows Reply with quote

Fore those having trouble finding the fibre-reinforced tape to use on your combat arrows. Here are the details you need to take to your local OfficeMax supplier:

Sellotape 1305 filament tape
(under Packing Supplies)

Order codes
18mm 2261715
24mm 2257343
36mm 2257351

There may be other suppliers of similar tape, but I'm not personally aware of any.

Alternatives:

There was a test done a year or so ago using clear electrical heat-shrink. This would be adequate for combat archery as it is very strong and deforms rather than tearing when the arrow within is broken, thus keeping the pieces contained. The main problem is the price - it's not cheap when you start buying it for lots of arrows.

At this time there are no other tapes endorsed, but if you're prepared to take the gamble we will look at other options on a case-by-case basis at camps. The main thing we want to see is that when wrapped and broken, the tape will contain the fragments of wood and contribute materially to the strength of the arrow and resistance to shattering. Fibre-reinforced tape (not duct tape) and heat-shrink are the only things I have so far seen that work.

Nigel
Black Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel. I've often wondered what you thought of the heat shrink idea!

John
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: