Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Arrows offered on trademe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

NZArcher
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:22 pm      Reply with quote

Again I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED NOR DO I NOW CLAIM THESE ARROWS HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR USE AT AN NZSCA SHOOT. I have and do suggest that their use should be under circumstances that would apply (RULES OF ENGAGEMENT) at an SCA or LARP event.
Assuming the NZSCA documentation is correctly posted upon the website let me assure those who carp on I HAVE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN AND UNDERSTAND IT.
My suggestion that users follow guidelines of engagement adopted by SCA was to encourage users of the shafts to do so in a prudent manner. SCA does not, thank God, dictate to other mere mortals where who how why or what they may do BUT it does promote rules of engagement which I believe generally ensure safe practise. My reference to SCA in the interests of public welfare were the most stupid action I have taken in a long time given the misguided rantings of a few. It is my opinion those same individuals could have used this situation in a positive manner which promoted SCA instead they alienated people, created antagomism and in many instances (certainly outside the very small re-enactment circle) distanced many whom they should be soliciting an association with.

This whole farce and contnued misinterpretation of the auction content has come about because some zealot DID NOT READ WHAT WAS WRITTEN and now has a contingent of fellow travellers.
I am seriously beginning to wonder just how much of a life some folk must have if all they can do is follow in the wake of an illiterate who will not acknowledge the inaccuracy of their initial ravings. The reactions parallel those of Lemmings.
It has been heartening and saddening to find a number of folk associated with re-enactment in NZ, who have made contact with me in person have experienced similar disenfranchising attitudes and action.
Well intentioned some folk may have be and be but if SCA and re-enactment is to grow in any meaningful way there is a very obvious need for those who purport to lead the way to stop dictating, start listening and talk with others not at them.
Why are the numbers who participate in re-enactment so small when the potentials it offers are so great? Leaders? look in the mirror!
NZArcher
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:39 pm      Reply with quote

One simple suggestion break with the mob, "Read" what has been written in the original auction and you you may just modify some of your inaccurate claims as to what I have and have not said claimed or stated. GET THE FACTS BEFORE you start with statements that discredit those claims you make which have some substance and we will all be better off.
Thaner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm      Reply with quote

EDIT: thread should be locked IMO Smile

Last edited by Thaner on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thaner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote

all is well

arrow.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.6 KB
 Viewed:  11844 Time(s)

arrow.jpg

Last edited by Thaner on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wellybex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 pm      Reply with quote

I can see what you are trying to say, however, this is only because of reading your posts about this auction. To many other people reading the auction, it would most likely look like you are saying these are SCA and LARP approved shafts.

I, too, think it is appallingly rude of you to come into our forum and say things like the following:

Quote:
Well intentioned some folk may have be and be but if SCA and re-enactment is to grow in any meaningful way there is a very obvious need for those who purport to lead the way to stop dictating, start listening and talk with others not at them.
Why are the numbers who participate in re-enactment so small when the potentials it offers are so great? Leaders? look in the mirror!

I for one would not participate in this hobby if this were true. Perhaps you need to take your own advice and do some research before you attack a very close knit community.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:31 pm      Reply with quote

Footnotes to this arguement for people who know nothing about archery.

1) Mark "Chopper" Reid.

is the authour of the kids book "Hooky the Cripple"...

Which is disturbingly funny.

2) SCA - refers to some other reenactors, they have generally flash soft kit.

Those scadians ya just wanna cuddle 'em.

"I love the Rennaissance Fair... its so Elizabethan" - Cherry Poptart.

That last comment was completely random.
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:39 pm     Arrers and errors Reply with quote

I don't really give a toss about the $60.00 arrows. I ain't buyin' any and Ghod help the nutter that tries to hit me with one.
But to clear it all up, are ther any Larpers out there prepared to offer the point of view of their pass-time?
The SCA have said a resounding NO to them (As apparent from this list), by association they are unsuitable for metal weapons combat archery as most commonly done in NZ, (Fortunately we were not included in the Auction listing)
Larpers are mentioned, so they should have the right of correction over any misinformation (Knowingly or otherwise) about the use of the arrows as pertains their Hobby.

And I know you pointy-eared little buggers is out there somewhere.

I still wanna know about the 1/2 lb arrow heads and the effects on the flight from that heavy a head.
What poundage bow are we talking here.
What degree of Welsh ancestry do you need to be, to be deformed enough to draw such a massive piece of timber. (Those of you that have seen my impression of a Welsh Archer will know what I mean. The rest of you, just use your imagination.)

Still wondering.

Cheers
Bogue
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 pm      Reply with quote

Thank you for making the changes to your auction that make it relatively clear that the arrows aren't for SCA use in NZ, though I must say, without any context, the comment is somewhat... odd...

It would have been simpler, and certainly more politic, to just delete S, C, A and /, and then the auction would no longer show up on the SCA radar, and nobody's feathers would be ruffled.

And I'm really not sure why you insist that we haven't seen the arrows, when you've posted two nice clear photos on the auction.

Out of morbid curiosity, how far can you send one of those arrows when fired from a 30lb bow?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:55 pm      Reply with quote

Thaner.
the converse of imply is to assume, is it not possible you have assumed that something is implied without taking the full context of the auction into account.
I also have some concerns now about the thorughness with which marshalls are doing their job. My understanding has always been they are diligent to the point of being picky. Given that they are simply diligent in exercising their responsibilities how in heavens name could you end up on the battlefield of an SCA event and face these arrows. They are not approved for NZSCA use surely they would know that
Angel
the sole reason for reference to SCA and LARP was to ensure that some reasonable attempt to have ANY ONE MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC, who is perfectly entitled to purchase these shafts just as I did, use them within a frame of reference that minimized the likelihood of injury. The comment has frequently been made to enquirers "these are not approved by NZSCA "and are not and never have been represented to be so.
Had the SCA Marshall who jumped down my throat initially read the advert correctly and then, if necessary, made contact enquiring about the situation instead of waving big sticks and making ridiculous claims then this whole pathetic situation would not have eventuated.
It is also unfortunate that some others have jumped on the bandwagon, several without even reading the auction content and made some grossly inaccurate statements. I can spell all the inaccuracies out for you but what would be the point. Man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest are the words, I believe? or is that hears no matter.
If my pointed responses have offended I apologise my replies have obviously been taken as personal attacks and on rereading some understandably. My only justification, frustration with comment that obviously showed a very biased perspective, misplaced loyalty and a factually deficient appreciation of the whole issue. GET THE FACTS .

I find it even more disappointing that pressure has now been brought to bear on Nic Harrison to terminate my organisng and marshalling the Archery at the Gt.Lake Tournament. Such an abuse of position by those responsible for exerting that pressure has seen the (amicable) termination of our relationship. That such pressure should even exist speaks volumes about SOME of those SCA individuals who will use personal umbridge to justify stabbing another in the back. So much for chivalry! I am sure Nic will deliver a marvellous event. I believe (with respect to archery) the event would have been even better for all concerned had those who lack the intestinal fortitude to "suck it up" not derailed some disclosed and undisclosed exciting archery options not to mention the fiscal/prize imputs that have also been lost.

When I first looked at making input into the re-enactment scene I was advised, "do not to go there", no reflection on Nic or what he is heading, but caution with respect to some of the attitudes and very narrow perceptions that existed within the establishment. I always judge people and situations as I personally find them don't ask others to prove themselves,accept them at face value and rarely am I disappointed. The comment has been made on several occassions that I was "new" Had to prove myself , suck up to the establishment ,sorry thats not me, take me as I am warts and all. Sadly the observations made, by others with past experience , are true. In hindsight I should have taken their advice.
To those folk I have spoken with and met that are not of the ilk of those antagonists I have encountered and who demand that issues be addressed upon the basis of fact not assumption, who speak honestly and openly without pandering to personalities and egos. who stand up for what principles they adhere to, who have no time for politicing I wish you well,
To the minority may I again suggest you take a good long look in the mirror with your self justification mask off and ask how many other, unknown, folk have you lost to the world of re-enactment, you will never know they have simply walked away as I and those who would have come with me now do.
This is the last communication I will have through this website Being unsure as to how to withdraw my association I would ask the moderator to do it for me . I hope others receive a more welcoming and accomodating reception than I have from the SCA establishment re-enactment desrves it!
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:15 pm     Farewell NZarcher. Reply with quote

I was not going to enter this public s***storm, but after reading the above post, it seems I must make a statement.

As I informed Kelvin earlier today, my decision to relieve him of responsibility in the matter of the Taupo Tournament is related solely to his own conduct on this forum and his disgraceful attitude towards members of this community.
In doing so I was not influenced by any external agency or pressure from any individual or group on this forum, the decision taken was mine alone.

I am in the process of re-organising the Taupo Archery Tournaments, and will inform you all of the new organisation as soon as possible.

I second Thaner in requesting that the thread be locked or deleted.

Thanks,

Nic

n
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:28 pm      Reply with quote

I have locked this thread.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: