Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Equestrian
Light armour lance & heater shield dimentions

Grizz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:59 pm     Light armour lance & heater shield dimentions Reply with quote

Here are the lance and shield dimentions for the light armour joust at Taupo .
Lance
2.4 long
32mm diamiter pine doweling .Perchased from Bunnings or the likes .
decorated in your own personal colours .So not to get confused for someone elses.
socket ..Alluminium pipe .150mm long with an internal measurement of 31mm perchased from Ullrich Alluminium .Sand end of lance down and Hammer on to lance so you have 75mm on to the lance and 75mm to hold lance tip .
I recomend you hammer a ring of upholstry nails at 550mm from the butt end .This will help you find the right spot to place your hand with a glove on .

You will require 2 of these .1 for each end of the tilt .

I will post a picture on my photo album of the recomended strapping positions for the heater shield .

Note how close the guisse strap is to the side of the shield ,on the left .about 1" from the side .This stops the shield from turning side on as you ride .
The two straps for the hand are not required (on the right)for foot fighting .
The upper arm strap is on the same mounting point as the guisse .The other part of the upper arm strap should be afixed at your upper arms width .This strap should be realy tight when you wear the shield .This stops the shield from bouncing when ridding .
The guisse should be tightened up enough to cover half your face .To make it impossible to get a lace in the throat .

This shield is 600mm wide and the length will depend on how tall you are It should cover pritty much of your torso .Note ,shield will hang on an angle when strapped correctly .Photo on my album .
The sitting position ahould have the guisse tighter in the photo .

Ask any questions !

Last edited by Grizz on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:01 am      Reply with quote

Just wondering if you will allow standard ecranches for this. We have several novices who are interested in taking part in this but who are using ecranches.

Lances sound OK.

Also, are there any pre-training requirements or tests required to assess competency for this division?

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Grizz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 pm      Reply with quote

Callum ,the New Zealand open joust is an early period joust (using a tilt for safty reasons) The preferance is for jousters, entered in this joust ,to use early period style equipment .I.E. heater shields .Note preferance .
I know that Dave Smith sells them for a reasonable cost if any Wellington jousters require one .
Ive seen the ones he has made Denyse and Tony and they are very nice and fit the bill very well .

The equipment reqirments for the Veriouse jousts at Taupo are posted on the Web site www.taupojoust.com
There is a typo concerning the lances for the NZ open on the web site .
This is going to be fixed as soon as .

In the NZ open lances are not supplied by the organisers .
Entrants to this joust are required to supply their own lances (2 minimum required)
Painted to their own colours .

As far as pre vetting jousters befor the joust .
As most competators that enter this joust are already known we dont consider this an issue .
Any that are not known will be watched in the practices .If they are not up to it and will be a danger to others and their horses ,then their entry will be "politly" refused befor the joust .
Note the politly ..
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:25 am      Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that. That was our original jousting style! We have a bit of old gear from this still lying around. I will see who is interested and have a chat to Dave.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Grizz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:45 pm      Reply with quote

Cool .
It should be fun Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: