Yes
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 18

Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 pm     Poll for an "Open" forum or not Reply with quote

Any objectionable stuff that the bulk of people don't want to see can go there. That means any flame wars, and other silliness. We all know people shouldn't do it, but they still do. So acknowledge it, give them a room, so to speak.
"Open" Forum, yes or no?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:41 pm      Reply with quote

"yes" Victorious.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm      Reply with quote

keen as but can we also do a vote to permently ban ppl to no clue on who.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:24 pm      Reply with quote

He'll just come back under another name: Knight of Magdelaine anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 am      Reply with quote

NO.

It is a great theory, but will inevitably spill over into the general lists. Then the only way for other people to understand what is going on, is to read the "open" forum whether they really want to know or not. When feelings run this high, it cannot be confined to one area unless all involved behave as gentlemen and gentlewomen - and if that was the case, it wouldn't need to be there in the first place.

Call me old fashioned, but I have a simple rule on this. I treat emails and list postings like good old fashioned letters: if you aren't prepared to defend yourself in court over the things you write, don't say them at all, and everyone will be happier.

Call me old fashioned again, but if you are prepared to put it in writing but would not say it to the person's face, then you probably shouldn't write it either.

I support the banning of Hadrian completely, his posts have too often been provocative and simply stirring up a hornet's nest: witness the first post that started this off again, it dredged up an old topic that should have been left quietly resting, for no apparent reason than to make his presence felt again.

Hadrian is an extreme example of bad behaviour on a PUBLIC list that does none of us any credit and can make us all look infantile to a casual observer. Banning Hadrian permanently was probably a straight forward decision in the end, and I applaud the moderators for trying to keep the discussions civil, and for their ongoing efforts.
griff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote

NO
Argueing about reenactment is fine but i feel an open forum will just be trouble.
dont get me wrong i like reading flame wars they can be very entertaining, but admin do an astounding job and get on top of them pretty quick which keeps things from getting to boring as some flames can be come
so thats a big fat NO from me
BigMac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:49 pm      Reply with quote

Where is the don't care button?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
Where is the don't care button?

it is on the fence post next you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:54 pm      Reply with quote

No.

I think if people want to argue they should do it somewhere else. I personally don't like reading a thread that suddenly turns into a personal attack for no apparent reason.

I think if you wouldn't say it to someones face you shouldnt say it at all!
Fungus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:18 pm     No Reply with quote

No

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote

No
White Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:37 pm      Reply with quote

No.

I think that the only people who have the right to ban someone should be Admin and I object to anyone else trying to form a petition to have a particular person banned simply because they don't like them.
If you have any concerns take them to Admin.

No, I am not for or against Hadrian being banned it is the principle which I object to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote

We don't need to poll any further to see which way this is going. The poll is currently overwhelmingly on "No" to introducing an Open Forum.

My intention here was to see what could be done about people who wished to post objectionable material. There were a number of possibilities, each with their respective issues:

1. Don't post anything objectionable.
(Issue: all very well to say so, but potential morons either don't know what is considered objectionable, or don't care. So with this possibility we're left with Admin having to remove objectionable posts after they've been seen on the General Forum - or wherever - by all).

2. Have an Open Forum so people can post objectionable stuff there.
(Issue: see all your comments above. So much for that idea, it hasn't taken off).

3. Maintain the status quo, and warn objectionable posters that they face general opprobrium, limited bans, or in the most recent case, a life ban.
(Issue: The objectionable poster gets banned for some time - or, in this case, for the span of this lifetime. But in the meantime the rest of us get to put up with objectionable material until such a ban can take effect).

Result: Possibility # 3 has been exercised. The status quo and resultant life ban on Hadrianus has removed the need for an Open Forum.

Thank you all for your contribution to the poll and this thread.

Victor

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: