Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Siege
Hand cannon from Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford

pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:41 am     Hand cannon from Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford Reply with quote

Hi guys
here is a nice weapon of medieval mass destruction found amongst a small collection of firearms at the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford.

Predictably there was no technical details or even some basic measurements Rolling Eyes
Museum label

From the butt end

from the muzzle

touchole area

From rough measurements I would say it is about 900-1000mm long, about 40-50 mm at the muzzle and around 100mm at the butt end. You can quite clearly see the way it has been constructed out of strips of iron welded together, at the muzzle the opening is nowhere near round. Brave man who test fired this Shocked Shocked
Regards
Phil
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:02 am      Reply with quote

Hi guys
anyone in NZworking with early gunpowder weapons???
Phil
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:59 am      Reply with quote

That would be Stu.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote

We have a couple in Wellington at least as well - Quentin and Andy.
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote

Hello Phil,

I am the cannon man here in New Zealand. In the early 90`s ( UK ) I was one of the people who pioneered cannon at Bosworth and Tewkesbury.
I own seven guns, from a simple hook cannon to a wheeled 15th century piece. In addition I have an earthshaking mortar of about 4.5 inch bore.

What is your interest ? I seem to recall stories from friends who have said that legally owning any re-enactment gun in England now has become a leglislative nightmare, and that many of them had frequent problems with really stupid policemen, and Health & Safety officials who did not know one end of a gun from the other.

Cannon are not difficult to make. Feel free to contact me if you need advise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:58 am      Reply with quote

hey stu

did you hear that we are wanting to start a black powder gun guild.
im going to contact craig and i want to try and organise a meeting down here at the local rifle range for any who are interested in the black powder guns. there is a camping ground next to the range

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 pm      Reply with quote

Hmm....At last, a use for the science grade carbon I rescued from the skip bin.

Cheers Phil,

conal.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: