Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Weapons and Combat
2008 gurkha weekend

pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 am     2008 gurkha weekend Reply with quote

Hi Guys
as promised a brief report on my weekend in Plymouth training in kukri basics and applications with two Gurkhas and a close combat instructor with the Royal Marines.
First instuctor: Captain "one more time" Indra Gurung

Second instructor: Sgt Dihraj

Third instructor and course organiser: Simon Hengle

Sadly the weather was diabolical, Saturday was the wettest day since 1917 Shocked . Nevertheless a small bunch of good keen men;and one woman, stuck it out for the whole day soaked to the skin.

The fog in the picture is rain Mr. Green Mr. Green , at least it wasn't horizontal at this point.
We covered the basic kukri strikes, slices and guards with Capt. Indra for several hours(much the same as last year), then spent a little lighthearted time on learning a kukri dance from his part of Nepal, great fun with a little martial intent. Put "kukri dance" into YouTube for more examples. Then it was on to more advanced work with Simon Hengle. In this section we learned another, more advanced training pattern and its applications in actual combat Thrusts, stabs, rips and butt strokes were all introduced along with quite a bit of reverse grip work. The kukri with more extreme curves were excellent for this. Training finished around 5p.m. and we all were given tasks to help prepare a brilliant Nepalese Curry over an open fire.

Thats me in the shorts and my wife to my left, man did we all enjoy the curry and beer Very Happy Very Happy

Sunday was taken up with a review of the previous days training and some test cutting, then pack up and head home.
A full on weekend of top class instruction from people who have "been there, done that", no bullshit or unanswered questions Mr. Green Mr. Green .
I am hoping that Simon will run another training before Christmas and include some Fairbairn Sykes knife work , a topic he also instructs in.
Regards
Phil
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Great report and photos. Thanks for posting them.

Sounds like the weather is pretty much the same that we've been having here this Winter...

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks Phil.
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote

Found it!

Martial arts, curry and beer...

Fairbairn Sykes commando knife. ---> No room for niceties in combat on Oldman Fairburns world.

aww man.

I think I mowed the lawn that weekend...

crazp.

Cheers Phil.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: