Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Cuisine
Food from around year 1000

Lady Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:30 am     Food from around year 1000 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for food/ sources/ references for Eastern Roman Empire around year 1000.

Being at the crossroads of Europe/ Asia & Middle East - Africa the food must be amazing.

Thanks Lady Rose
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Ginnie
I have an article"Dining with Angels:Cuisine of the Eastern Roman Empire" by Henry Marks from the now defunct magazineMedieval History Issue 13 September 2004. I meant to republish in the Roman newsletter but haven't got around yet.
some Further Reading:
A.Dalby 'Flavours of Byzantium',Prospect Books, Devon, 2003
H.Marks,'Byzantine Cuisine' Self Published(1270 Montecello Dr.,Eugene OR 97404, USA _efentesdem etrios@hotmail.com) 2002.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:24 am     Food from around 1000 Reply with quote

Thanks for those. I have ordered Flavours of Byzantium and another one on Byzantine Cuisine from ABE Books.

I'd very much appreciate a copy of the article you mentioned.

I had a mooch about in the ABE site for a couple of hours on Sunday. Found what looks like a couple of great books on the Varagian Guard but both expensive. One $85 US the other OTT at $417 US + P&H.

Also had a fossick about looking for a usable bow. Went to Wildwood Traditional Achery site, as suggested. Renacters bow $460 +p&h made of hickory backed lemonwood. I'm unsure as the price of these things, perhaps someone can tell me if this is seen as a good deal or not. Seems a tad on the pricey side to me (shrugs) I am just a beginner in this area.

Thanks for your help Ginny
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote

Two books I found a useful intro to the Varangians were Osprey "Byzantine Armiesx 886-1118' and "Armies of the Dark Ages 600 - 1066". Both by Ian Heath. I've never found a book just about the Guard but I am sure that such a title would be very interesting indeed.
When I went to Medieval events in Australia in the 90s I always found the New Varangian Guard (NVG) very impressive. Do they have a Web site.?They might be worth contacting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:53 pm      Reply with quote

Two books I found a useful intro to the Varangians were Osprey "Byzantine Armiesx 886-1118' and "Armies of the Dark Ages 600 - 1066". Both by Ian Heath. I've never found a book just about the Guard but I am sure that such a title would be very interesting indeed.
When I went to Medieval events in Australia in the 90s I always found the New Varangian Guard (NVG) very impressive. Do they have a Web site.?They might be worth contacting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote

http://www.nvg.org.au/

Gaius Drustanus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:26 am      Reply with quote

Hi Victor
Steve Lowe is the guy in Aus who is the main man for the NVG. He was very active on the re-enactment forums, his wife died just before Hastings 2006 but he did it anyhow, I thought just getting my dissertation done was sufficient excuse not to go.
Phil
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote

Yeah Phil. Steve is a cool guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote

Yes, Egfroth is a good guy - helped me construct my first helmet years ago thru emails! and tons of other info since. It was sad about the passing of his wife close to the time but good that he went, I believe he was playing Earl Leofwine, brother of King Harold in charge of the English left wing. I'm still planning on attending the next one, will see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote

have a couple of listings for their garrisons on here.
http://www.arlho.net/
not sure if there is much about food though
Rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote

I have just been to Abbey the event in Caboolture Queensland. I stayed in the NVG encampment! They are very very welcoming (food and place in tent) and they do have some nice Kit!
I have some contact details if any one wants them!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: