Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Encampment and Displays
Do we do rendezvous in NZ?

EliseMarchand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 am     Do we do rendezvous in NZ? Reply with quote

While browsing the site for the Australasian Register of Living History Organisations, I was intrigued by the concept of a rendezvous. This seems to be, as far as I understood it, a camping event, usually themed to a certain historical era, attended by historical enthusiasts from all period groups, who often camp together based on their era – in other words, a more historically accurate Renaissance Faire. I was wondering, does anything like that happen in New Zealand, or is it yet to catch on here yet?
Anyad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:28 am      Reply with quote

Hey Elise,

I have updated the Events section: http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/events.php

There are a few events that are specific periods, but in NZ is not really that common. I'm guessing because we don't have the numbers.

Regards,
D

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Greenman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:57 pm     rendezvous Reply with quote

Regarding Rendezvous -I have been involved with Rendezvous in fact have experience running rendezvous events. These are non public events based usually on private land. I have been involved with black powder shooting as well as Medieval but my experience in rendezvous is in black powder rendezvous events -: the New Zealand mountain man event and the Auckland black powder event.
There is no reason why there could not be a nz medieval rendezvous but a sympathetic farmer would be required to make his property available. There are costs associated and it is usual for participants to pay a fee. Self catering is the order of the day, Camping organised events. A code of conduct is essential otherwise it becomes a drinking session for the hard core which spoils it for the family people. There are challenges like meeting the equirement for water for what becomes a small village. The mountain man event lasts five days.I was second in charge for three years with mm and with the ABC for many years. If you want more info feel free to contact me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:08 am      Reply with quote

Yep. Richard is right there.
There's an irregular shoot down this way that Dave Smith runs out the back of Balance and Craig Broughton has a Bowman's thing at his place mid November?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: