Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Crafts
rawhide

Murt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:28 pm     rawhide Reply with quote

Murt (Tid Noth) here,

I have made a viking lantern, but I need some rawhide for the glazing of it.

Does anyone know of a source of thin (translucent) rawhide that would be suitable.

Cheers M (T)

Greenman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:53 am     Rawhide for glazing Reply with quote

I have tried to get sheet rawhide for my lanterns but there are no producers in N Z. Birdsall in Sydney has rawhide but my inquiries with them indicate it is difficult to import and some people have had it confiscated. There are retailers in America selling sheet rawhide. It is a marvellous material to work with - I have done scabbards and containers with it.

When I wanted to make my lanterns look authentic (I make lanterns) -I had to 'compromise' - doesn't one always - unfortunately!. I made sleeves of calico which I tie dyed with tea - having first treated the calico with an alum mordant. These sleeves fit over the glass of the lantern and provide a plausible lantern at night and are 'fire safe'. I will have mine at Taupo in March.
If you find a supplier, I would be very interested.
Greenman

lanterns 002 (Small).jpg
 Description:
lantern with calico sleeve - tie dyed
 Filesize:  30.3 KB
 Viewed:  32232 Time(s)

lanterns 002 (Small).jpg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:44 pm      Reply with quote

Ironically the cheap rawhide Christmas gimmicks around at the moment may help, depending on the size of your lantern.

I noticed some rawhide "canes" and "bones" in a Christmas pet range at spotlight, IIRC the hide would be 40cm ish wide once unwrapped but I don't know how long.

Don't have a dog so I don't know which quality these are. Usually good quality rawhide "bones" are made from the thicker stuff, but seasonal ones are often made on the cheap with thinner rawhide that dogs go through in no time but would be better for the lantern.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:28 pm     Rawhide - further thoughts Reply with quote

I use the dog rawhide bone for small stuff - and it is good for that if a little crinkly after soaking in water and unwrapping.

I was lucky enough to be given part of a hide which enabled me to see what the best rawhide is like. It is like vellum about 1.5 to 2mm thick very smooth and flat. This would have enabled panels to be cut to size and slid into grooves on the lantern. This is the stuff that is available in America and Sydney. Not much help I know but gives you and idea of what to aim for.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 am      Reply with quote

I see that someone has come up with the "doggy chews" idea. They make good shield edging and sword and other weapon grips. But why no use real parchment? I seem to remember that there are still art suppliers where you can get genuine parchment. After all it is simply scraped down goatskin and was used, oiled, in windows before glass also.
There are still some calligraphers who like to use it for special jobs.
Crite40
Murt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:01 pm     rawhide Reply with quote

Thanks to those who responded to my quest for rawhide for lantern glazing. I will pursue the search and let you know how I got on.

Cheers Tidnoth (the wiser)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: