Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Armoury Progress

Quest

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 pm     Armoury Progress Reply with quote

Greetings,

My name is Daniel and I am quite new to NAAMA. I have been training with the Red Ravens for the past several weeks now in Palmerston North. I have made some good friends in this time! In re-enactment and medieval martial arts I enjoy the combination of history, fitness, heritage and competition. Its something I have always wanted to do and something that most people say they are surprised I did not get into earlier.

My first goal was to achieve "Man at Arms" within the Red Ravens which I have achieved, and my next goal is to attain a level of fitness and skill and equipment to represent NZ in the Battle of the Nations. I mean to assemble most of my own gear to save costs.

So, currently you can find me training every Wednesday night with the Red Ravens, and once a month now on a Sunday with the same; while I am not at Sunday training I am at church worshipping the God who created all of this! (I have been a Christian for 3 years). I am about to begin another weekly night of 1 on 1 training specifically toward the Battle of the Nations, and I spend most evenings training and exercising by myself.

Over the past several weeks I have assembled some kit. Thanks to those of you who so graciously gave: you have really helped to establish me. I also would like to thank those of you who have all sold to me at such generous prices! I have particularly enjoyed making my own shields with my wife. I mean to share here some of the things I have completed and include you all particularly on some of the projects I am creating. I welcome you to contribute your own thoughts, advice, suggestions and experience and to join me on my "quest" to Battle of the Nations...

D. Waring

vik1.jpg
 Description:
Avantail conical helmet, chainmail shirt, leather bracers, hand-axe, round shield
 Filesize:  31.47 KB
 Viewed:  28706 Time(s)

vik1.jpg

Philippians 1:21

Last edited by Quest on Sun May 18, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quest

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 pm      Reply with quote

These are two pendants I wear while re-enacting. These are replicas of holy symbols excavated from a Swedish burial mound. Both represent the crucifixion from the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. You might notice I repeat the symbol of the cross from one of these pendants onto my Viking shield (attached below): there are four circles, and each represents a wound received on the cross where Jesus died to pay for our sins: the topmost is the crown of thorns, the left, right and bottom are the nail pierced hands and feet, and represented in the centre is the side of the Lord that was spear-pierced after he died.

Before I repented of my ways and was converted by the love and power of God, I was a heathen after the traditions of my ancestors from Scandinavia. I was a vile and broken man who believed terrible things about himself, about others, and about God.

I was lost, and if it was not for my Lord, I believe I would be dead or in jail today. My "history" may still be shown by the tattoos I have, but it is no longer shown in the way that I live my life!

Because Jesus bought me back from the darkness by his blood, and has given me a new beginning, I wont exclude him from my life - I mean to represent my Lord Jesus and honour him in all the things that I do with my life - including re-enactment.

pendant1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.67 KB
 Viewed:  28683 Time(s)

pendant1.jpg

round4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.21 KB

round4.jpg

heater4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.14 KB

heater4.jpg

heater3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.14 KB

heater3.jpg

Philippians 1:21
shallewell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Sounds fun!

Are you on Facebook? If so add me if you like
Cheers
Simon Hallewell (Red Ravens)
allfiredup

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:04 pm      Reply with quote

hi Daniel my name Justin Stockbridge if you want to try hmb/imcf(bon) come up and we can have a fight I have spare armor you can use and you can see If you like the combat.

There is also a group in Wellington - Rusty and Rach or Justin Harris who was origionaly a raven,

Private message me or find me on facbook and I can show you a thing or two if you are interested

thnks

Justin

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: