Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Lifestyle
Duelling now decriminalised......

Nathan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:48 pm     Duelling now decriminalised...... Reply with quote

In Queensland Laughing
Should be done here.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/queensland/duels-ok-but-mind-the-kids/2008/10/10/1223145590233.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:53 am      Reply with quote

It sounds like they are just removing laws about duelling, not decriminalising it - there is a big difference. Kill or injure someone in a duel, and you would still be held responsible.
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote

Peter Lyon wrote:
It sounds like they are just removing laws about duelling, not decriminalising it - there is a big difference. Kill or injure someone in a duel, and you would still be held responsible.

Correctly stated.
The same was done in Italy about seven years back. We were all pretty aghast atthe time, given the well known Italian tendency to quarrel. As it transpires though, all they were doing was cleaning up the legislature a bit. Murder and aggravated assault will always be so.

After all, would you really want to fight for your life with a sword?

Nic
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:34 pm     The Duel in the Crown Reply with quote

And Freebooter asked this:-
Quote:
After all, would you really want to fight for your life with a sword?

That's a fairly open question, the answer to which depends on the variables.

If challenged to a duel as the challenged I would have the right to choose weapons, (Swords over guns any day).

Not ever liable to challenge anyone to a serious life threatening duel, so still going with swords.

Guns are impersonal, if I'm pissed off enough with someone to want to kill them I would rather be up close and personal (To hear that gasp, to see the pupil contracting shock in their eyes, you know what I mean) so still going with the sword.

I'm not allowed guns, so we're still going with the sword.

Guns are really noisy, swords are not, therefore less police attention (No SWAT team going "Is that a real sword?") Still going with swords.

Oh Yeah. I don't like guns if I did I'd be doing target or trap or deerstalikng or somesuch. But I like swords, that's one of the reasons I do this as a passtime.

But if I'm in a situation where the other guy has a gun, well then I want a bigger faster GUN plain and simple.

Deities Forbid I ever wind up in that situation.

Cheers
Bogue
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote

Exellent points Bogue,

At the end of the day though, my personal feeling is that I would never want to have to fight for my life with a sword, or a gun, or a laser blaster or anything else. For me, what makes it fun is not having to place my life in the skill of my blade.

Were this another time and age, I know I'd see it differently, but as it's the twenty-first century, I rejoice every time I pick up a sword that it isn't something I'll ever have to use in anger.

Having said all that, if challenged it's swords all the way, and my challenger better bring at least as good a bottle of wine as I do.

Smile

nic
stephan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 am      Reply with quote

yep thank jebus we dont have to face the horror of fighting for our lives
but ....if i ever had to accept a duel swords all the way as my oppoent know of the last 8 years and will come as a quite a quick suprise

stephan
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 am      Reply with quote

It would be WW2 Fighter planes for me, Spitfires at dawn old bean, chocks away, and all that sort of thing, eh what, what.

none of this ten paces turn and fire nonsense, what, no... you take off in france i will take off in old blighty and meet at angels eleven over the channel WHAT WHAT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote

haah I would chose a blade over a gun any day, when we go out an play Airsoft [like paintball but way cooler] we sometimes do the old pace turn fire bit with pistols, and gosh what fun and gosh what really bad aim! Still I'm trying to show the lads [at airsoft] that a blade is as good a weapon as a firearm, and the fact that when you run out of ammo your firearm is just a glorified shaped club! so on this we are hoping to incorparate close quater fighting in with long distance fighting..hurahh....also I not long watched a SCA fight where apon the fighters just bashed out at each other and knealt down when they took a leg hit...very silly..and now I remember why I dont like SCA....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:14 pm      Reply with quote

In stark contrast to my earlier comments on the topic...

If someone wants to be stupid enough to challenge me to a duel, expect it to be knives.

If a more "gentlemanly" selection is required (as we all know, some choices are rejected due to lack of appropriatness of Station), I choose Sabre and Dagger.

...the wine's going to be a nice bottle of Wolf Blass Grey Label. '89 if I can find it. '97 otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:08 am      Reply with quote

Absynth, shot for shot; last man able to stand wins.

Knives also sounds promising though, throw the first 1/2 doz then get in close with the rest.

TTFN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 pm      Reply with quote

Ok I may just be reviving an old thread but I would choose dueling pistols anyday! reason you ask well the dueling pistols are made to be inaccurate so both men (coz ladies did not duel) could stand 20 (or however many) paces apart blast away miss like buggery and both walk off saying honour was served I faced him (otherside rat faced bugger) and walked away wat wat.
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 pm     New achievement - Necromancer Reply with quote

Terme has just gained the Necromancer achievement for bringing a thread back just 2 months shy of being 3 years gone. Laughing

No, that isn't a challenge to revive older threads...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 am      Reply with quote

Doesn't matter much either way, practically everything he wrote is incorrect in some way. Women did duel, there are plenty of recorded incidents. Dueling pistols were never"made to be inaccurate", they were the epitome of the gun makers art, weapons of considerable precision. The fact they were not rifled(usually) and lacked full sights was down to the rules of dueling. The weapons themselves were quite capable of hitting the mark at 20 paces or more, depending on the skill and nerve of the duelist. The most important characteristic of a set of pistols was that they were identical in every respect, weight, chamber size, trigger weight etc were all checked by both seconds and any discrepency would have been grounds for rejecting the weapon and canceling the duel.
Terme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:17 pm      Reply with quote

I will admit that females did duel though it seems from what evidence I could find it was viewed as an oddity and more as ammusement than the real thing.

[/url]http://people.howstuffworks.com/duel1.htm[url]

I really should butt my nose out as I do love a good debate (arguement) Razz [/url]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: