time synch?

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 am     time synch? Reply with quote

I'm running win98 here.
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:22 am      Reply with quote

You might have to expand your questions a little there Conal. That's not much to go on sorry.

Nigel
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:23 am      Reply with quote

... or are you wondering why everything is an hour behind? Hmmm. Good spotting. I'll check it out.

Nigel
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 am      Reply with quote

I think that may have been a cry for help

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 am      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
I think that may have been a cry for help

Nonsense. 'Help help!' is a cry for help. He was merely making idle chit-chat about clocks and the wonders of modern timekeeping.

... but, just in case it was a cry for help, I've been looking into how to fix the problem at this end, with the time being out on the site.

Conal, if you were actually asking a different questions, such as how to get your computer clock to automatically synchronise with an atomic clock somewhere, then email me seperately and I'll see what I can do. Otherwise, stay tuned for more breaking news as it happens.

Nigel
psyclone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:07 am      Reply with quote

If the site is located on a Unix platform (most likely linux). You will most likely find the OS didnt update automatically with the DST changes.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote

psyclone wrote:
If the site is located on a Unix platform (most likely linux). You will most likely find the OS didnt update automatically with the DST changes.....

OK, if you want to get geeky....

The server is UNIX based, but it doesn have the right time, I've checked that. The problem is with the PHP functions being used by PhpBB, which is the forum engine behind the site. It's using the gmdate() and passing in various timezone properties from individual profiles. For some reason somethings getting corrupted along the way and the right profile information isn't getting through. The way around it is to either hard-code the GMT +1300 timezone for 6 months of the year, or to get everyone to individually change the timezone setting in their profile every six months. The DST setting has never worked proprely unfortunately because of the changed dates and so it's not particularly reliable. Not sure which way to jump on this one. It's possible that people can just suck it up and deal with it, but it would be nice to have a fix once and for all.

There... geek enough for you?

Cheers,
Nigel
Golden Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:29 am      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
psyclone wrote:

OK, if you want to get geeky....

The server is UNIX based, but it doesn have the right time, I've checked that. The problem is with the PHP functions being used by PhpBB, which is the forum engine behind the site. It's using the gmdate() and passing in various timezone properties from individual profiles. For some reason somethings getting corrupted along the way and the right profile information isn't getting through. The way around it is to either hard-code the GMT +1300 timezone for 6 months of the year, or to get everyone to individually change the timezone setting in their profile every six months. The DST setting has never worked proprely unfortunately because of the changed dates and so it's not particularly reliable. Not sure which way to jump on this one. It's possible that people can just suck it up and deal with it, but it would be nice to have a fix once and for all.

There... geek enough for you?

Cheers,
Nigel

OUCH!!....lol
My head hurts now!! ha ha ha
Yes plenty geek enough for me....lol
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

Woohoo GEEK FIGHT!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 pm      Reply with quote

One has to let the inner geek out once in a while.

I think for the moment there's no nice solution to the time problem. Left as-is, it will mean that over summer the time on posts will be one hour early unless you change the timezone in your profile to GMT +1300. If you do that, you'll have to change it back to GMT +1200 when daylight savings finishes. Sorry about that. This has been a problem in one form or another since the site first began 5 years ago. Unless any PHP gurus out there want to roll up their sleves and dive in, I think I'll just have to ask people to put up with it. Sorry about that.

Nigel
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:01 pm      Reply with quote

Has bin Crying for Help for Years.

Everyone just ignores it.

Beware the Geeks, bearing gifts

Last edited by Gaius Drustanus on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golden Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:02 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
One has to let the inner geek out once in a while.

I think for the moment there's no nice solution to the time problem. Left as-is, it will mean that over summer the time on posts will be one hour early unless you change the timezone in your profile to GMT +1300. If you do that, you'll have to change it back to GMT +1200 when daylight savings finishes. Sorry about that. This has been a problem in one form or another since the site first began 5 years ago. Unless any PHP gurus out there want to roll up their sleves and dive in, I think I'll just have to ask people to put up with it. Sorry about that.

Nigel

Now can you remind us how to change this when the time comes, chances are I will forget. But I have managed to be tech savy enough to follow your instructions to get the right time, thanks for that.
Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: