Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Cuisine
oh to have a hydrometer

Thaner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 pm     oh to have a hydrometer Reply with quote

I should have got the hydrometer back in december when i put this batch of mead down, i bottled it today, still 'slightly' hazy but was starting to develop that "hey i'm mead, drink me' taste. I've sipped down bout 7 or 8 shot glasses worth of the left over thats sitting in my old glavya bottle, and it's starting to knock me around.. would love to know what its content is, tastes quite potent lol.

all going well, gods willing, when the bottles are cracked open about 8 months from now they should be absolutely stunning, (two of them had priming sugar chucked in, so will be sparkling)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:08 am     er Reply with quote

Ill have a look around I think I have one

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 pm      Reply with quote

i've got a bottle put aside for ya for end of the year, want a sparkling or normal? one of the painters at work has one that he's not using, but that was last week he was saying that lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:14 pm      Reply with quote

how long does mead take to make? If we wanted some for Naama would we have to start it brewing now?
thorsson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote

yep
crite40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 pm      Reply with quote

In warm weather like now with a vitamin booster you can get from any brewing shop, it takes from 2 to 4 weeks to ferment out to dry.
That gives you about 12% to 14% alcohol if you use Champagne yeast (that can take a high alcohol level).
After that it needs a couple of months to settle down, but the longer the better.
Made this way it is like dry white wine, but a little of the same honey added with warm water can sweeten it up for those who like it sweet.
Also of course you can then get secondary fermentation and Fizzy Mead.
Just make sure the pressure doesn't get too high for your container.
I've mad 3 lots now, about 21 litres per brew and I'm just getting some ready for next Saturday night at the Kumeu folk music festival.
Hydrometers aren't very expensive actually, after all they are just a weighted
tube of glass with a calibration scale inside. Once again try your local brew shop
if you have one handy.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: