Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Help with this site
Is anyone having email problems with GD?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Errol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
Always the option of just checking the web page semi regular like Razz

While I appreciate that some people prefer email delivery for all sorts of good reasons (for them), I really like the way the 'New Posts' feature works on the site.

If you haven't tried it, you see a line for each Topic (across all Forums, i.e. there is one page for the all of GD) that has had new posts since you last logged in. If the topic interests you, you click on it to read it (I normally ctrl-click to get it in a new tab). Much easier than having to keep track of the 20+ forums (or getting a page with the latest 100 posts like the other forum that I use a lot).

This won't suit everyone, but it's worth making sure that people know about the feature.
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 pm      Reply with quote

Not had any GD posts either. Must be something to do with Windows 7..!

Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:41 pm      Reply with quote

Depends on what the server is running, not what you're running, Stu!
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
Depends on what the server is running, not what you're running, Stu!

And for what it's worth, I got Stu's mail, but not Errol's, or either of mine before that.

Nasty gremlins....
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:23 pm      Reply with quote

Just to give you all an update on the email problem - I don't know for sure, but I have one possible cause of the problem under investigation. Our web host is restricting how many emails the website can send out to 50 per hour, which is rediculous. I'm trying to get that increased, but given the holiday period, it's slow going.

Nigel
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 am      Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know I'm still on this problem.

I've just made a minor change to the sites configuration. I doubt it will make a difference, but if you notice your emails flooding through again please let me know, either by post here or emailing admin@gatheringdarkness.co.nz.

Otherwise I'll keep hounding the host and see if I can't get some resolution. Absolute worst case we'll have to move the site again because this wasn't happening at our previous host. I really don't want to do that unless I have no other choice though.

Nigel
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote

Finally, a resolution of sorts. Our host has now returned my calls and has lifted a cap on the number of emails we can send out per hour. I think this should fix the email problem. If you're reading this now in your email, the problem may be sorted. I'd be interested to hear from people (via admin@gatheringdarkness.co.nz, not a reply to this email) if you think you're now getting all your emails from the site again.

On another note - as part of this excercise I've been checking all the bounced email addresses from members. If you've changed your email address recently or you think the email you used to sign up is no longer valid, please update your profile with the correct email address.

Cheers,
Nigel
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: