Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Taupo 2010
Poll - self-catered or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you prefer to self-cater or have meals cooked for you?
Self-Catering
79%
 79%  [ 34 ]
Meals laid on
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Don't care
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 43

Fungus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm     Food Reply with quote

I agree with Nigel
Having no option for self catering at camps will mean less turn out in future.
Last NAAMA having a bunch of people cooking round a fire at our camp site was the hi light for me and Kath now some people cant or wont cook for them selves you could ask Womble to pick you up a pizza as he gets food off site most of the time.
Not having to feed people at camps will make camps cheaper and easyer to run.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:48 pm      Reply with quote

I was well please with the self caters at Easter.

They understood and were self sufficient.

Not so pleased with my beef on the Sunday Night... naayaah but whatdayagonna do.

Cooking for 50+ with the help I had in the kitchen was a joy.

I'd do it again.
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 pm      Reply with quote

Oooh yeah.

One other thing...

Go for near zero footprint post camp.

The self caters at Easter did it.

Good on 'em.
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 am      Reply with quote

Aah, a near zero footprint post camp. What a lovely thing that must be...

In truth, the re-enacment side of Taupo really isn't too much of a trouble post event. Some firepits that need excavated, cleaned and infilled, some rubbish to remove, but the greater part of the two skiploads we remove from the site every year is public rubbish, food wrappers, drinks cans and the like.

That said, I'd like to take this moment to ask folks to please not leave unburned logs or charcoal in the firepits when you infill them, and especially not food waste. The wood/charcoal/food breaks down fast and the surface over the firepit subsides, leaving a crater. We got ticked off on those craters this year, and my bond for the site has gone up quite a bit as a result.

So yes, I too would like to encourage the community to try for a zero-waste event. Smile

Nic
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:40 am      Reply with quote

What about offering an area where reenactors can do some recycling? as in a couple of bins that do, glass, plastic, food, etc. We normally take our rubbish with us but this might help out the guys that can't.
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

We had some bin-barrels in the camps last year, but they were general purpose.

One of the problems we face with recycling is that the bin company we have been using takes it all away and sorts it themselves.

But I prefer your idea.

I'm going to get in touch with Waste Management NZ and see if that might be possible.

nic
ann dugmore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote

I agree with Nigel that self-catering is the way to go to get that feeling of really 'being there' (whatever century that happens to be!). However, I realise that some people just need feeding at regular intervals between battles without having time or equipment for ny of the preparation! I really enjoy the cooking side although there is always a rush as there is so much going on. I would like to cater for a small number of extras at our campsite as its a great way for social intercourse.............. at the Medius Auvum Comitatus campsite folks!

I also wonder if there is any way we could encourage greater experimentation with 'ancient and medieval' cookery. Another competition? Food tasting displays?

Ann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14 am      Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I'll be holding the submissions open until next Friday, August 28. After that I'll still be glad to hear your fedback, but am less likely to be able to incorporate suggestions as I will have begun the actual orgainsation of the event. If you have ideas and comments that you would like to see incorporated into the event, please try and post them by Friday.

Thanks,

Nic
anglosaxonz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote

Self catering is a great idea
We catered our own meals at 09 as we have members in the group with food allergies, one allergic to fish one wheat and another allergic to nuts and oats - as Robbo said self catering makes this easier to provide foods we can all eat

in 08 the caterers charged for meals so you paid for what you ate

I think a combination of the two would be good - those who cant self cater because they do not have the resources would be taken care of and those who can are already covered

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
We had some bin-barrels in the camps last year, but they were general purpose.

Can we ask that the number of bins be doubled or even tripled this year. There were times when all the bins were overflowing - not a great look for the public. I appreciate it's not easy to get them emptied during the day, so could we perhaps have more, or a backup skip or two hiding behind the trees just in case?

I'm all for the recycling idea mentioned previously too.

Cheers,
Nigel
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote

Thanks for the wonderful feedback folks.
My apologies for not being about much lately, I have a deadline looming on 1 sept, so time is a bit crunchy at the moment.

I have another four barrels which I'll take the tops off for this year. That will double the authentibins.

I will also be sorting a routine with the water truck to remove all bins, both authentic and modern, during the water run. chances are I'll hire a couple of backpackers to do the garbage.

I've not got onto looking into recycling options yet. That will happen next month. I'll keep you posted.

At the present time it looks like were going for a fully self-catered event this year. We will, of course, still have catering vans on-site, and I intend to expand the options again this year.

Water will be fun. Smile I think you'll like the solution.

N
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: