Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Cuisine
Dried meat

Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:20 pm     Dried meat Reply with quote

This one probably isn't very medieval, but it's damned yummy and makes good event snack food.

Biltong flavoured jerky

500g schnitzel
1/3 cup of whole coriander seeds, crushed (put it in a plastic bag and bash it with a rolling pin)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T salt
1/2 t ground pepper
vinegar

In a bowl, mix together coriander, brown sugar, salt & pepper.

I put white vinegar in a spray bottle, and spritz each side of the schnitzel, then slice it into strips, and chuck it in the bowl with the other ingredients. Mix it all around until everything is evenly coated, and chuck it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, fill a soup bowl with 1/2 cider vinegar and half water, and give each bit of meat a quick dip before laying it on the dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 8 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:11 pm      Reply with quote

there's a shop down the road from my house called "a taste of south africa" and they have the meanest biltong ever, used herbs from south africa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 pm     Better than jack links Reply with quote

Thaner metioned this:-
Quote:
there's a shop down the road from my house called "a taste of south africa" and they have the meanest biltong ever, used herbs from south africa

We've got one here in Palmy too.
Pity they don't use meat from SA as well.
I want exotic animal, dammit I want endangered animal.... well ok maybe not toooo endangered.

Bit of zebra or Gnu jerky, bit of warthog bacon bits.

Ray Mears did a nice (apparently) elk jerky smoked over a chokecherry fire. Chokecherries are toxic until cooked but the smoke imparts a nice (apparently) flavour and the cherries can be crushed and turned into patties that when cooked are edible and (again apparently) quite tasty.

cheers
Bogue
Thaner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:56 pm      Reply with quote

they use imported meat, imported spice, and it's only $14 /kg, also make boerwors and droewors from imported meat also

it's absolutely fantastic, the flavour is out of this world (or country LOL) my brother married a afikaans lady, and she gets me to buy that, and koeksisters also (desert sausage)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm      Reply with quote

I think boerwors is the worlds best sausage Mr. Green Mr. Green A great coil of it cooking on the barby, man that takes me back. Black pudding is great in its place but the boerwos is the king of sausage.
Phil
Thaner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:30 pm      Reply with quote

i LOVE black pudding, and the ever ellusive white pudding

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:42 am     Biltong Reply with quote

Hey guys

A good friend of my family owns a shop in petone called Ontrays. Its on Fitzherbert St is green and has a south african flag outside. they imports quite a few items from SA including biltong. Though alot of his biltong comes from within NZ. I think they had 4 very good suppliers making druavors and regular biltong. they also have buravors (spelling ???) and Pronutra, mrs balls chutney - i dont know the list goes on.

They also have a huge range of booz from SA and olives and cheese from NZ.

While your there you can also visit Justins shop just down the road Smile

If you go to either say hi from me Smile

oh and the other thing that Ontrays stock are poikies (again spelling???) which are the SA camping cast iron pots - look a bit like cauldrons.

The last thing to say is make your own - its so much fun!!!
I use a wooden box with a incandescent bulb in it - hang the meat in there for a couple of weeks and viola

My tuppence
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:19 am      Reply with quote

my brother worked at Ontrays for a while, he'll never, ever, step foot in that place again.

My mum mentioned a few weeks back that there was a "medieval armour" shop in petone, I told her that it would be Justins shop, and that I wanted Gauntlets and swords and armour, as ya do, late last week that she was in petone for a meetings and would I like her to buy me some stuff (she was actually after a Lucet, and anything else that took her fancy) but the shop was shut up tighter than canned ham Sad

This lady is sitting on close to half a million, and she wanted to spent money on armour Sad

Stupid shops not being open!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:43 am     LOL Reply with quote

Oh dear, so your brother got the sharp end of the stick from them - cant say i am particularly surprised. I certainly would never want to work there. I just go there for the biltong Smile

As for Justins shop being closed - well i cant say i am particularly surprised there either... "sigh"

Lastly i would dare say i dont think your mum would like you talking of her personal business on a medievil forum;)

Still silly shop

D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 am      Reply with quote

Justin is still making stuff if you want to buy stuff, go to his website Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote

One of the suppliers of biltong and assorted sausage for Ontrays is in the block of shops at the end of my street.

Now who else has dried meat recipes?

The term jerky is based on a South American word for dried flesh, which was quite often llama.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 am      Reply with quote

You can make it on a low heat in the oven with the door open too if you don't have a dehumidifyer... Just put it at like 100C for 8 hours or so.

http://beefjerkyrecipes.com/

Endless possiblities!

I got a tasty gingery one last batch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:24 am      Reply with quote

hunt_sicarius wrote:
You can make it on a low heat in the oven with the door open too if you don't have a dehumidifyer... Just put it at like 100C for 8 hours or so.

Wondered how you got around that.

With those recipes can you still smell the blood in the meat? That puts me off.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote

gt1cm2 wrote:
hunt_sicarius wrote:

Wondered how you got around that.

With those recipes can you still smell the blood in the meat? That puts me off.

Dehydrator only uses 250W and dries it at 75C. Dunno what the wattage of my oven whould be. I got my dehydrator using flybuys points. They show up on trademe quite often, otherwise they are about $100 new. I use it for all sorts. Currently drying a whole bunch of apples that fell off my tree - yummy snack.

I find that biltong often tastes of blood due to the fact that it's still quite moist. I dry my jerky pretty thoroughly, so I don't get that blood flavour. The thinness of the schnitzel helps it dry all the way through.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 pm      Reply with quote

Thaner wrote:
...and koeksisters also (desert sausage)

What is desert sausage and why wasn't I informed of this invention?! Meat and desert in one package?? Marvellous!

Thaner wrote:
i LOVE black pudding, and the ever ellusive white pudding

For those in Wellington - you can buy white pudding from the farmers market in the Porirua Moore Wilson carpark on Saturdays, or at least you used to be able to.

Nigel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: